We got our first egg!!!! GopherBoy is sooo happy

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GopherBoyFarms, Jul 19, 2008.

1. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    Well after the drama of Scar scalper herself a few days ago, and our cat taking up residency in the coop....it was cute to see Racey one of our Barred Rocks sitting in the nest box (only an hour after I said "I bet we will get an egg this weekend") Well she started making all kinds of racket, so we went in the coop and saw our first little brown egg!!!!

WE ARE SO PROUD!!! DS is away for a few weeks so I had to call him and tell him, he was so happy I think he was crying!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanna know how do those little buggers (hens) know to lay in the nest boxes...I didnt tell them!!!?????

2. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Wow. That's some egg. You look very happy [​IMG]

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

CONGRATS

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    2 months from now I hope my girls will find the nest boxes. I have them covered right now because they would just poop in them and mess them up... I figure I will open them up and put grass in them on Labor Day... then they can start laboring to bring me some fresh eggs!

5. CATRAY44

CATRAY44 Lard Cookin Chicken Woman

Mine lays her eggs NEXT to the nesting box....! However, my little pullets go in and lay in the nest box, amid the golf balls....

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  6. GopherBoyFarms

GopherBoyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    Vancouver WA
    Yippie!!!
    I went to go buy feed today... and the girls must have known cuz when I got back home there where 2 more eggs (so far they have all been in the same box)
    These two where a lot lighter brown then the first, and not so perfectly egg shapped....but still I think we are onto something great here. 3 eggs in 3 days.
    Hopefully more soon since we have 22 girls and one rooster

7. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    [​IMG]

Congrats, can't wait 'till I get my first!

8. wishin4chicken

wishin4chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    Hayden Lake, Idaho
    Your posts put a smile [​IMG] on my face. Congratulations on the first eggs!!!

9. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! I can't wait to get our first egg. How exciting!!

10. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    [​IMG] Eggcellent! What kinds of hens do you have and how old are they? Congrats to the Gopher family! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by