We got our first "practice egg"!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by madeinmaine79, Aug 12, 2014.

1. madeinmaine79

madeinmaine79 Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2014
    We are so excited!!! We are first-timers and have been learning a lot of chicken lessons this year. We have been through so much with our White Leghorn girls! BYC has been such a huge resource in helping us along the way! We started with six, sadly lost three chicks all at different times and had one that was pecked to death along the way, realized we had two meat birds in the mix and now we are down to six gorgeous girls!

My eight year old daughter is a self-proclaimed chicken farmer. She feeds and waters them, she turns the bedding and changes it when it needs to be, whenever she isn't at her dad's she is sitting under the pine trees with her girls. She even tries to go sit in the coop with them when it thunders so they won't be afraid. She proudly tells people that she raised two chickens that happily fed our family, so she can't wait to have eggs too.

We've been anxiously awaiting the arrival of their eggs...watching all of their favorite spots in the yard because they do free range. Last night my curiousity peaked to do more research about when the eggs were coming and I discovered here on the forums, that with their behaviors it would be soon! This morning I woke up to find the most beautiful little egg when I let the girls out of the coop for the day! I wish my daughter had been here to find it. YYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I knew we could do it!

Here it is!

[​IMG]

Are these first eggs ok to eat even though they are small, or should we hold out for the bigger ones when they come?

Thanks to everyone who has helped us this far along they way, we couldn't have done it without BYC!

Mandy

2. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

If it has a shell, it's good to eat (unless you are medicating her with something that had a withdrawal period).

I cooked my chicken's first egg up and shared it with them lol.

3. madeinmaine79

May 9, 2014
    It has a nice hard shell all around. It's perfect, just small. [​IMG] I think I will save it for my daughter, because she's worked so hard taking care of these girls, and I am so proud at the responsibility she's taken on. :) Thank you!

-Mandy

4. madeinmaine79

May 9, 2014
    OH MY GOSH!!!! We got one tiny little egg this morning, now all the girls are starting to follow!!! 5 hours later, I hear the girls making unusual noises for them.....and this is what I found when I went to check on them!!! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

5. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    When it rains, it pours eh? Congrats!

6. madeinmaine79

May 9, 2014
    Thank you!! It's really so exciting to be able to provide for our family this way!

7. acro1010

acro1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2014
    That's great I can't wait for mine. I'm not supposed to have any so hopefully they won't alert my Gestapo neighbor/manager. :)

8. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    4 first eggs in one day! wow! Kudos to your daughter. Wish I could see the look on her face when she gets home from school to find her rewardS!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by