We had a dog attack Please Please help!!

HazelPiesMom

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 21, 2015
A dog got into our chicken tractor/coop today and killed all but 1 of our chickens. I'm really unsure of how to care for our remaining girl. She has superficial bite marks along her back/butt area, she will not open one eye, and her wing is drooping. She was running from the dog when I found her but she won't even stand now. My biggest concern is she is just laying lifeless wrapped up in a towel. I got her to drink one sip of water. I think she may be in shock but not positive. We took her to the only vet that would see her but he admitted he wasn't used to treating chickens. He prescribed amoxicillin and prednisone. He said he didn't think her wing was broken. Having a hard time getting the meds in her. I can hold open her break and pour it in but when I let her go her head droops back down and the medicine just runs out of her mouth. I'm really worried she will die. She just looks so pitiful. I read several posts about giving electrolyte water (not sure what that is or where to get it). WHAT DO I DO????? My 3 year old is crushed.

Hello! Probiotics in water could help her. Does she like vegetables? If she would eat it, you could give her some lettuce or another vegetable or fruit with probiotics on it. Is she eating? Does she have any ointment on her wounds? To calm her, you could spray 1-2 drops of lavender essential oil mixed with distilled water. Water is very good for chickens. Keeping her hydrated would probably help her. The best thing to always do is pray for her. Hope this helps. Jesus loves you!

Back
Top Bottom