We had a marauder..

KYChixMama

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Went out this morning and the pop door was opened and chickens were already ranging - I assumed my FIL had opened it. 8 Silkie babies, my blue and copper EE, and a blue Silkie roo are missing. Since everyone was out and already scattered I thought maybe the missing flock members were ranging a little farther out than everyone else or hanging out in the barn. But tonight when I went to put everyone up, they were definitely gone. Called my FIL and he didn't open the coop this morning. The pop door doesn't show any signs of forced entry, just an opened latch, so maybe a raccoon? No feathers, no sign of struggle, nothing.

This sucks!!!!
sad.png
I just went back out and added a lock to the latch. I assume whatever got them will probably come back. I guess I'll be on predator patrol for awhile.

Many years ago I kept some OEGBs in a rabbit hutch that had a door that opened from the side. Just unlatch the latch and swing it open. Then one morning I went down to feed them and the door was open, some birds were out, and there was one missing. I thought one of the kids had forgotten to shut it after chores. They both denied it. Same thing happened the next day, and the next. I finally figured out that it was a raccoon. I had no idea until then how nimble their little "fingers" really are!

Racoons are really good at latches. You have to be pretty creative if you got racoons around.

Back
Top Bottom