We had a playdate!

LadyFunnyFarm

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Somewhere in the sticks of IN
So yesterday I was able to let to ladies free range for a little bit for the first time! It was so exciting and fun! They are still not fully integrated since I added the littles to the coop last Friday, but there has still been no bloodshed, only segregation and hesitation. I don't really feel like I can ask for much more than that. However, when I let them out to play, they actually mingled!! I just sat in the grass with them and they went to town! Some of my little even started talking
love.gif
My wonderful man just giggles at me, but he humors me, lol. The ladies are all getting friendlier, too. Now, if only I could get them to integrate in the coop... If it stays dry tomorrow, I will do my best to let them free range some more and see how that goes.

On a side note...Previously, the coop door came open and the ladies got out along with the roo, he ran off and was never heard from again. So, now we're reluctant to let our little roo out to play with the girls. Is this rational, or will he hang near home with his girls? He's pretty friendly and not aggressive (yet).

Quote:
I would let the little roo out too. Who knows what got into your former roo, looking for greener pastures, but typically a roo knows what side his bread is buttered on and is going to stick close to his hens.

Ok, thank you! I felt bad telling him he couldn't play with the other kids, lol. Tomorrow we'll have a grand time out in the yard! We're also going to a place to pick up some supplies tomorrow. They happen to have some chicks I want...The loving man rolls his eyes at me. Maybe I can convince him of chicken math tomorrow, lol.

Quote:
Or you could have my type of man. I just realized the other night that he doesn't have a clue about how many chickens I have. Even better, he doesn't seem to care.
big_smile.png

Well, with the small herd of children we have running around (6, 5, 4, 3 & almost 2), and the fact that he is my main coop-builder (we can't free range all the time), he generally stays in the know. However, he seems to have this crazy, but wonderful inclination to keep me happy. I'm really good with that! I'm more of the planner, but he wants to know about when he's going to need to plan weekends for slaughter, what we're going to do with all the eggs, etc. Those kinds of pesky details, lol. I'm pretty much madly in love with him, and thankfully the feelings are returned. Your man sounds pretty wonderful too!

Back
Top Bottom