We had a visitor 😳

RebelHen

Chirping
Apr 29, 2021
So we had a visitor last night in fact I think it might have been at least 2 foxes. Luckily our clever 12yr old Pom woke us with his barking and we discovered two chickens in the garden and one still in the coop. Two of the girls are seriously traumatised they are sitting on the ground with eyes closed. One girl appears to be limping I’ve checked her over and there does not seem to be any wounds. The bigger of the 3 seems unaffected by the whole experience. I’m hoping they’ll be ok. I live in an urban setting and we lost 3 last year but thankfully we were luckier this time round. They broke the lock on the egg box the screws were not long enough and with wear and tear after a bit of time working on it they had no problem getting it open. I really hope the girls will survive the trauma so sad seeing them like that.

On my next door neighbours roof 😳

Attachments

• FE77EE9A-D410-41A5-8359-9CBD7D6BB251.jpeg
    FE77EE9A-D410-41A5-8359-9CBD7D6BB251.jpeg
    53.6 KB · Views: 7
Sorry for you’re chickens. Hopefully the wil recover.
I was :th what an amazing picture. I’ve never seen a fox on a high roof like that before.

Time for a new lock 🔒 that’s fir sure. An outdoor lamp with motion detector might help too.

Thanks for your advice They seem to be improving but I’m letting them grieve in their own way. Hopefully they’ll be back to their old selves shortly. I often find some fresh grown Swiss chard helps their mood so I’ve two of them eating again. One girl is still not looking great but after her rest hopefully she’ll recover well. The photo was amazing my husband took it he said he sat there for 5 mins on the roof staring down they are very brazen! It’s a single story roof but still high up!

Yes foxes are very cheeky animals. Some years ago we had a fox in the middle of the day in our garden. And I don’t live in the country either. Looking at our rabbits we had then. When I went outside he still didn’t flee but just looked me in the eye, until I grabbed a broom and walked towards him.

Thank goodness for your Pom! What a hero!

The fox on the roof shot is amazing! I had no idea they would scale a building.

Best wishes for your girls. Recovering from trauma like that may take a while. I had one hen who was the only survivor of a predator attack in her coop, and although she wasn't physically harmed, she was upset for quite a while. Let's hope Swiss chard helps soothe yours.

Back
Top Bottom