We Hatched A Double Yolker!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by steelersfan43, Apr 19, 2011.

1. steelersfan43

steelersfan43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    NE IN
    I couldn't believe it. I'm working on getting some "blue" orps and my eggs in lock down are starting to hatch....After a while there are so many shells in there I decide to get out the shells to give the little ones running around some room since there are still eggs with pips in there...So, I'm looking at my paper (where I've been keeping track of my candling and whatnot) and start counting the eggs I have left to pip, finish zipping etc... Hmmm, counting the baby chicks again.......Looking at the egg shells, start counting those again..... [​IMG] Starting to get really confused when my husband goes look at that egg!! It had to have been a double yolker!! Sure enough I have all my shells accounted for with my notes for how many eggs were in there, and each one was even numbered to make sure nothing got messed up. Pretty cool huh???

Now they are doing really good, but is there anything I should be looking for problem wise? I always thought that doubles wouldn't survive so I've never thought about if there would be problems or not. [​IMG]

Anyway, just had to share in our excitement. Pretty excited about the hatch and then to get two for one [​IMG]

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am going to need pics of the hatch to believe this one.

3. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    It is rare! I'd like to see too, but I doubt you caught the hatch, otherwise you'd be less surprised... Dang. [​IMG]

4. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    WOW! Thats crazy! Congratulations on your 'twins' Ya gotta post some pics for us when you can....And the hatched completely on thier own?? Man thats crazy

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah I was hoping you KNEW it was a double yolker, not "you counted and something didn't make sense" - I've done that before too but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a double yolker I hit.

I'm not saying it is impossible, no! I'm just saying - I want proof. [​IMG]

6. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I've seen pics of it done on this forum before Debi.....

7. QuailQT

QuailQT Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2009
    NW PA
    [​IMG] So excited for both of you! [​IMG]

How eggciting! [​IMG]

[​IMG] I never knew twin peeps could hatch. Just think if you hadn't kept such good records-you wouldn't have ever known! Was it a pullet egg, regular sized or extra BIG?

Are they identical? [​IMG]

8. fatbassetvineyards

fatbassetvineyards Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Redding CA
    Are there two that are smaller? I was wondering if the twins would be as big as a single hatch.

9. birdmaniac3000

birdmaniac3000 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    los angeles
    pics would be great so u got twins is that what u mean

10. spiritdance

spiritdance Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2010
    I hatched a double yolker once but only one chick survived. The other was malformed. We realized it was a double when we candled at day 9 and saw the two chicks very distinctly forming in opposite ends of the egg. The chick on the large end hatched, but the one on the narrow end looked like it quit forming a few days before hatch. Both were tiny, but surprisingly the surviving chick was and is very healthy. I still have him even though he's an extra roo. I just can't bring myself to get rid of him because of the circumstances around his hatching. Best of luck with yours and I hope they thrive like mine has.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by