We have a PIP and several CHEEPS!

jumpy.gif

Check the poop of your teenagers. Are they sitting around fluffed up, not terribly active?

I'm wondering if you don't have some coccidiosis going on.

If there's any sign of blood in the poo, or if they are fluffy and inactive, get some Corid or Amprol, STAT.

You need to get them on powdered milk in their feed if it will take you a few days to get the Corid.

If they are still active and not fluffy, is there an older population of birds out there, too? If it's just them, it could simply be a comfort thing, but I'd guess they'd be wanting the sunshine.

Go, peeps, go!!!

Quote:
I don't see any signs of blood in the poo. They get fluffy, but that only looks like they're not enjoying the lower 40's in the mornings/evenings. And I'd only say inactive while they're roosting in the coop just looking at me.

I did just go outside to make sure they were okay and they all came out to eat, peck, and even crowded around me when I was hunched down watching them use the new water nipples to make sure they were able to do it. And, sure enough, as soon as I walked back towards the house they all walked back into the coop. Maybe they're just lonely?

And, no other chickens out there, just them. They are the original ones we bought at chicks in November before deciding to hatch some.

Last edited:
Quote:
Regarding your 12 week olds......is it possible that you have some predators about? My flock stays in the coop or close to the coop when they feel threatened.

Perhaps the 2 you gave away were the alphas. If so it will take a bit of time for the flock to 'elect' the new leaders....figure out the new pecking order.

Several years ago I gave away my oldest Roo, I had no idea what grief it would cause. The whole hen house was in distress for several weeks!!! My best guess was that the younger roos were trying to decide on their position in the order.

Moving chickens in to your flock or moving them out can certainly cause changes in the pecking order.

I was sitting quietly and heard the incubator creaking and groaning. When I got up to look at it, I was stumped as to what was going on. Then I noticed the one egg I had placed on the wire between the two egg cartons with the rest of the eggs in them (this was kind of a "control" to see if the egg cartons improved the hatch) had rolled itself into one of the cartons. No pips yet, but I guess it's ready for some action!

Quote:
Regarding your 12 week olds......is it possible that you have some predators about? My flock stays in the coop or close to the coop when they feel threatened.

Perhaps the 2 you gave away were the alphas. If so it will take a bit of time for the flock to 'elect' the new leaders....figure out the new pecking order.

Several years ago I gave away my oldest Roo, I had no idea what grief it would cause. The whole hen house was in distress for several weeks!!! My best guess was that the younger roos were trying to decide on their position in the order.

Moving chickens in to your flock or moving them out can certainly cause changes in the pecking order.

I kind of figured it could have something to do with the removal of the other two. Hoping that's all, but keeping an eye out for ChooksChick's signs of distress...

Our third pipper got a little anxious. There is a small shadow of blood in the bottom half of the pip. The inner membrane doesn't appear to be broken, but it's hard to tell because there are two pieces of shell overshadowing the area and the egg is in a far corner of the incubator.

I guess I just wait it out???? Or is there something I should do???

This is a poor picture, but the only I can get, given the angle and position.

73631_anxious_pipper.jpg

The first pipper has become the first hatched! She waited until we got up this morning and we watched her finish zipping and pop out an hour later!

73631_firstout.jpg

She's encouraged her two neighbors to get a move on and they are beginning to zip, too! There are also 4 new pips this morning
smile.png

Two out and causing a ruckus while a third is trying to push out without having completely zipped the membrane.

The pipper who drew blood has no change but is still breathing and peeping, while a second who pipped this morning seems to be drowning in fluid (egg white???). Two other new pips this morning are waiting it out.

73631_second_hatched.jpg

73631_troublemakers.jpg

Back
Top Bottom