we have a possibly egg bound duck with an unclear xray. Anyone have any ideas? xray posted.

micaelasducks

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2014
Hi everyone. I posted about my ill duck a bit ago. For about a week she has not been acting like herself. Quiet, standing still, less interested in eating, little activity. This is the x-ray, the results say that she "might" be egg bound or have an egg with poorly defined shell within her, but that it isn't clear, and at the moment we still don't have a game plan on what to do next. I just wanted to post here in case anyone has any experience with this and would have any idea what I'm looking at here.

unknown.jpg

I see no evidence of an egg on the X-ray. So what's the symptoms your bird is having?

I see lots of stuff in the Gizzard.
This is what the first vet said -- no mass or anything unusual. However their radiologist DID see something. Here is the rad report:
Screen Shot 2021-08-19 at 11.26.37 AM.png

Typical behavior of this duck is running around, LOTS of foraging, incredibly loud quacking, eager eating. Huge character and personality.

Current symptoms: She is bright eyed and alert. However, complete personality change. She is not seeming to eating staple food but will eat valuable treats (mostly cherry tomatoes). She is standing still and not moving for most of the day.

This is what the first vet said -- no mass or anything unusual. However their radiologist DID see something. Here is the rad report: View attachment 2803719

Typical behavior of this duck is running around, LOTS of foraging, incredibly loud quacking, eager eating. Huge character and personality.

Current symptoms: She is bright eyed and alert. However, complete personality change. She is not seeming to eating staple food but will eat valuable treats (mostly cherry tomatoes). She is standing still and not moving for most of the day.
I'm thinking you should treat her for a possible impacted gizzard. Coconut oil, & fluids to flush the system.

This is what the first vet said -- no mass or anything unusual. However their radiologist DID see something. Here is the rad report: View attachment 2803719

Attachment link not working.

I'm thinking you should treat her for a possible impacted gizzard. Coconut oil, & fluids to flush the system.
I fixed the attachment of the rad report.

I haven't considered that. What would be the cause of impacted gizzard? She forages and digs around in the mud as her favorite hobby so I had considered her having eaten something strange as another option. I had actually feared she had eaten something metal but that would have shown up.

I fixed the attachment of the rad report.

I haven't considered that. What would be the cause of impacted gizzard? She forages and digs around in the mud as her favorite hobby so I had considered her having eaten something strange as another option. I had actually feared she had eaten something metal but that would have shown up.
Too many Rocks/grit can create an impaction, same with lots of long grass that gets balled up, & can't pass, or a combination of lots of stones, & long grass.

Too many Rocks/grit can create an impaction, same with lots of long grass that gets balled up, & can't pass, or a combination of lots of stones, & long grass.
That's certainly possible. Here is a side view x-ray. They said this one looked clear.

Attachments

• Sprout2.jpg
    Sprout2.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 26
I wonder if she is bound with a soft shelled or shell-less egg. I only have experience with chickens, but I know that it is difficult and eventually impossible for them to poop when egg bound--but if the egg is soft, fecal matter can still exit, though it'll be watery and in smaller quantities. When my hens have had trouble passing a soft or thin shelled egg, it is often accompanied by a bloated crop (which goes down once the egg has passed). I've also found a bloated crop to be associated with egg yolk peritonitis, which in one of my chicken's cases, was diagnosed by a vague mass in an x-ray.

So, what's her poop looking like?

Back
Top Bottom