1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We have always free-ranged our ducks but i'm thinking about the future

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NZDuckNewbies, Jan 18, 2016.

1. NZDuckNewbies

NZDuckNewbies Out Of The Brooder

As it stands, our 2 ducks (both KC/crosses) are big enough that nothing will go near them, no neighbourhood cats or anything, but i am unsure what to do when it comes time to have ducklings.

We currently have them free ranging on around 400m2 of lawn and gardens, they also have a swimming pool in addition to that. They have never been fans of being penned up, but i am thinking of designing a larger and more inviting coop in a spot where we can add a run if necessary in the future.

We are in NZ, and as such, in town there are no real predators, I was also wondering what peoples thoughts were on free-ranging the ducklings and letting the mother raise them without our intervention? has anyone done this, if i provide a warm area is that suitable? This was just a thought, just so Milo (our drake) can be used to them without being separated and then having to reintegrate them.

This is a wee way down the track, so i want to figure out what is going to be best and prepare accordingly.

Thanks....

I feel like i have posted on here far too much given that i have been a member for a whole 2 days or so.

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Just let nature be the guide. Your adult ducks will protect their young.. You mention that where you are , the predators are not a real problem. The cats may be driven off by the parents. Are there a lot of cats there??? If so, then you should create a covered run to keep them until grown. My cats do not bother my chickens. I don't have baby chicks though.
    FEEL WELCOMED HERE. and post as much as you wish.
    WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I must say in my acquaintance are people who have lost ducks to cats….

Perhaps @duckyfromoz can weigh in on this.

4. NZDuckNewbies

NZDuckNewbies Out Of The Brooder

Yeah I am thinking we may have to go that route when ducklings arrive, my ducks hate the idea of confinement, I'm struggling to figure a way to get them used to our presence, and the idea of a run and house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by