We have an egg eater or maybe more

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Hot Chick, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Hot Chick

Hot Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

We recently got our first eggs but now we get none due to egg eating . I don't know who it is or how to stop it. I don't even know how it happened I have never given them egg scraps and they have always had plenty to eat. I feel there crops at the end of the day and there packed full with corn and left over fruit/veggies. Please help

2. Hot Chick

I have 8 hens that are great egg breeds and they have all been laying for about 3 weeks now, this week I've only gotten 3 eggs it's horrendous,at one point during week one i was hoping that if leave the eggs for maybe 4 days to see that they would become broody since there the more broody types but instead of sitting there eating

3. Hot Chick

At first I got plenty of eggs but it's decreased drastically

4. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    What makes you think egg eaters? Have you found pecked eggs? Egg shells? Remnants of eggs? Or is it simply because production dropped?

This time of year production will decrease due to lighting. Even with new layers you'll see production drop dramatically once those first few eggs roll out.

5. Hot Chick

I saw them fighting over a broken egg thay a hen was carrying out of the house

6. Hot Chick

And there's a little yellow yolk on all of them

7. orumpoultry

orumpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2012
    Trinity, TX
    Hmm okay. Some things you might try, that don't always work fyi...

Hollow out an egg. Fill it with soap. Repeat as necessary. Its bitter, they don't like it.

Stalk the coop. Take eggs as you hear the song sung. Replace with fake eggs..

Fill a real egg with foam. They peck it, gross stuff. Etc.

Egg eaters around here get culled as the trait can be taught.

8. Hot Chick

Thanks for the advice I'll try the sososo egg tomoroe but a quick question about the egg song what does it sound like I don't hear them doing any song other than the regular clucking

9. Hot Chick

Soap egg tomorow*

10. torilovessmiles

torilovessmiles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Central West Virginia
    The egg song is the comedic "Bach bach bach - BAGAWK" that they'll do when they lay an egg.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by