We have babies!

Pics
I wonder if they get moody as their hormone levels drop to none egg laying status..
I'm so glad the pastel is perking up. Nug was much smaller than the others he shipped with. He was timid but never sickly.
The remaining twin is def a female. I haven't named her, but think she's a keeper, gray, brown, or bald. She's such a sweatheart. One of the youngers wandered off this a.m. and she was just as franticly searching as Rosie was. I think she earned Rosie's respect after that..at least for a few hrs. She's letting her be with the rest of them now.
Their behavior definitely is different outside of breeding and laying season.

Their behavior definitely is different outside of breeding and laying season.
Yes, mine have mostly stopped pairing up, with a few exceptions. Bruiser is still hanging out with Violet and Starla (formerly Slate). It seems like Lemon Pie is kind of hanging with Victor, but I’ve been confused about who Lemon was paired with. It was really odd to see (former?) mates Scout Orange and Crypto fighting. Mostly, the guineas are all hanging out as a big group again, plus losing feathers everywhere! Having just lost Mud Pie, they are also very jump. I was tossing some millet to them today to encourage them to hang out next to the keets (across the wire of the coop), and some millet hit the back of one. The guinea squawked and jumped, then all of the guineas panicked together. Poor guys, I can hardly blame them when they know there’s a bobcat lurking…

Anyone study scat? I took a walk around the killing fields today; there's tile drainage system running between them that the govt allows them to mow only once a yr.
I didn't come across any feathers or other parts, but quite the pile. No feathers or fur in it, I've seen coyote, raccoon, deer, rabbit scat before. None are nearly this equal in size...

Anyone study scat? I took a walk around the killing fields today; there's tile drainage system running between them that the govt allows them to mow only once a yr.
I didn't come across any feathers or other parts, but quite the pile. No feathers or fur in it, I've seen coyote, raccoon, deer, rabbit scat before. None are nearly this equal in size...
Take pics and start a thread in the

Predators and Pests forum.

Dog???

So, yesterday morning, Welch’s daughter, Scout Orange wanted to stay in the coop with Welch. Scout Orange is the bird who lost her sister, Mud Pie, last week and tried to go broody on their nest. SO is also the bird who inexplicably fought with her mate two days ago. SO seemed to be doing well with the babies, so I left them together while I watched. About 10 min after being left with the babies, SO and Welch started brawling. They were a whirl of beak and feathers with the confused babies underfoot in danger of being squashed. They ignored my attempts to break it up until I laid hands on SO. At that point, both gals became convinced that I was super scary, and I had great difficulty herding SO out. Phew. So now, SO and Lemon Pie are both fence fighting with Welch through the coop wire. I don’t know if they just want a dominance battle (Welch is naturally subordinate and would lose) or if they want to take the keets themselves. I suspect that both want to take keets. This would be problematic because: 1) the resulting fight and takeover would be dangerous to the keets and 2) in my past experience, non-broody hens that take over keets will tend them in the day, but won’t stay on the ground with them at night. The keets really need those nighttime cuddles to stay warm.

So, I’ve kind of painted my self into a corner here by not having a run or a place to keep the keets and mom separated. I had planned to start letting Welch and keets out in afternoons while I supervised, now that they have started to fly. Now however, I’m afraid that if I do, one of the other hens will instigate the battle and keet steal. I’m still chasing adults out at dawn, but it’s getting harder and harder to keep keets in. I guess my new goal is to keep separating as I am until the keets are able to roost. Then they won’t need Welch able to stay on the ground with them.

Plus, it looks like I’m going to try to attend the out of state funeral next weekend, so hubby is going to try to take over for me for two days. So much that can go wrong!:th

So, yesterday morning, Welch’s daughter, Scout Orange wanted to stay in the coop with Welch. Scout Orange is the bird who lost her sister, Mud Pie, last week and tried to go broody on their nest. SO is also the bird who inexplicably fought with her mate two days ago. SO seemed to be doing well with the babies, so I left them together while I watched. About 10 min after being left with the babies, SO and Welch started brawling. They were a whirl of beak and feathers with the confused babies underfoot in danger of being squashed. They ignored my attempts to break it up until I laid hands on SO. At that point, both gals became convinced that I was super scary, and I had great difficulty herding SO out. Phew. So now, SO and Lemon Pie are both fence fighting with Welch through the coop wire. I don’t know if they just want a dominance battle (Welch is naturally subordinate and would lose) or if they want to take the keets themselves. I suspect that both want to take keets. This would be problematic because: 1) the resulting fight and takeover would be dangerous to the keets and 2) in my past experience, non-broody hens that take over keets will tend them in the day, but won’t stay on the ground with them at night. The keets really need those nighttime cuddles to stay warm.

So, I’ve kind of painted my self into a corner here by not having a run or a place to keep the keets and mom separated. I had planned to start letting Welch and keets out in afternoons while I supervised, now that they have started to fly. Now however, I’m afraid that if I do, one of the other hens will instigate the battle and keet steal. I’m still chasing adults out at dawn, but it’s getting harder and harder to keep keets in. I guess my new goal is to keep separating as I am until the keets are able to roost. Then they won’t need Welch able to stay on the ground with them.

Plus, it looks like I’m going to try to attend the out of state funeral next weekend, so hubby is going to try to take over for me for two days. So much that can go wrong!:th
That's almost like R

That's similar to Rosie and the twin, except the twin is only 2 weeks older than the keets and ran from her. But she does have a keen desire to be near & guard the keets. At 1st I thought she was trying to blend in, but as I said, she's taken on a Nanny role. After helping search for the wandering keet the other day, Rosie seems to have tentatively accepted her as such. She even left some w/the twin yesterday when she decided she was done dust bathing & 5 of them didn't notice that the others had left.
There are various theories about their habits. One is that one pair is the Alpha,the rest subordinates who may or may not brood but will guard the A female while on the nest. I saw this play out last yr- the two jumbos had nests and the rest divided & guarded. When Lucy & her nest were taken, they all moved to guard Rosie. - male & female. I didn't let her cont on the nest,so no idea how it would have panned out.
This yr, Bella sat w/her until she went missing, & then ofcourse Nugget stepped in. PJ took perimeter, when he thought of it.
We know the boys took up parenting. The triplets stayed away from them,the twins tried to blend until the massacre.
Going any further would be conjecture. SO has had the trauma- trying to fit in or replace or developed that desire to defend?🤷‍♀️
Rosie is definitely more sensitive to loss than the others were. Remember she kept going back to Lucy's nest site & calling. I can't say I expected or paid much attention to her reaction to others in the past, but the field incident definitely affected her. Her whole demeanor was that of an old woman hunched over & beaten down by life. As I've said, she's coming out of it now, but for awhile I was sure the only thing keeping her going was her responsibility to the keets.

That's almost like R

That's similar to Rosie and the twin, except the twin is only 2 weeks older than the keets and ran from her. But she does have a keen desire to be near & guard the keets. At 1st I thought she was trying to blend in, but as I said, she's taken on a Nanny role. After helping search for the wandering keet the other day, Rosie seems to have tentatively accepted her as such. She even left some w/the twin yesterday when she decided she was done dust bathing & 5 of them didn't notice that the others had left.
There are various theories about their habits. One is that one pair is the Alpha,the rest subordinates who may or may not brood but will guard the A female while on the nest. I saw this play out last yr- the two jumbos had nests and the rest divided & guarded. When Lucy & her nest were taken, they all moved to guard Rosie. - male & female. I didn't let her cont on the nest,so no idea how it would have panned out.
This yr, Bella sat w/her until she went missing, & then ofcourse Nugget stepped in. PJ took perimeter, when he thought of it.
We know the boys took up parenting. The triplets stayed away from them,the twins tried to blend until the massacre.
Going any further would be conjecture. SO has had the trauma- trying to fit in or replace or developed that desire to defend?🤷‍♀️
Rosie is definitely more sensitive to loss than the others were. Remember she kept going back to Lucy's nest site & calling. I can't say I expected or paid much attention to her reaction to others in the past, but the field incident definitely affected her. Her whole demeanor was that of an old woman hunched over & beaten down by life. As I've said, she's coming out of it now, but for awhile I was sure the only thing keeping her going was her responsibility to the keets.
Poor Rosie! That’s good that she has that juvenile keet who wants to be a nursemaid! Guinea life is tough, so many battles, losses, and the constant threat of predation. I don’t know if Welch even knows that her daughter Mud Pie is missing. Welch has been a good broody, so hasn’t been out of the coop for more than a few minutes in Six weeks! Poor girl spends most of the day pacing and calling to her flock. Hamlet no longer hangs out next to the coop keeping her company; he’s off with the flock. Not that the flock goes very far. I think that they associate the coop with safety, so they spend most of their time within 1000 feet of the coop. They are still very flighty and on high alert after the loss of Mud Pie. Today is the second day of brush clearing to try to make things less bobcat hospitable.

I do think that Lemon Pie might just want to establish that the keets are “hers” then leave it to Welch - that’s what happened last year. But it would be bad to be wrong. I’m going to feel awful for Welch if she goes through all of this egg/keet duties snd then is immediately ostracized by the flock. Last year they kicked her to the curb at about this time of year and she spent several weeks having to keep their distance.

Plus, that sickly pastel keet is looking better but has a lot of catching up to do. Keets got four days of high dose amprolium and I’ve just switched to low dose. Pastel keet is still tiny and just starting to feather her wings, but it’s doing as well as I could hope for. :fl I’m still using the heat light in the morning but it no longer chooses to spend much time under it. Morning lows have been high 50s, now warming to low 60s for nighttime lows. This is the latest in the year that I’ve had broody raised keets, and I’ve been impressed with how cold tolerant they’ve seemed. It’s in stark contrast to a recent FB conversation on the Guinea Fowl Enthusiast group thread I’ve been lurking on, where people were insisting they keets will die if they aren’t kept at 95 F for 6 weeks. :idunno

Back
Top Bottom