We have babies!

The one on the right in this picture is not a Chocolate. It appears to be fully pearled. Chocolates are semi pearled.

These appear to be fully pearled which means they are not Royal Purples.
None of this group are fully pearled, they just haven’t gotten their adult feather pattern in yet. I don’t have the best baby pictures, but I have a few…

One of the royal purples just after hatching:
F59C6B1A-DBFD-409A-9A46-9B1AE8CA0171.jpeg

A little older (weird lighting/phone camera is making it look grey but you can see the wavy head stripes):
4CCEEE4E-A574-48E2-B489-3A2D99C0D2DF.jpeg

Cinnamon (name of the bird, not the color) as a hatchling. This is the one I’ve been most uncertain about, and I’m not certain it’s a chocolate. It seems lighter colored than I thought chocolate would be. It has had the same feather pattern as the RPs, but has had a cinnamon base color instead, thus the name…
9E8626BD-3228-4250-B68D-AA179F0EB14D.jpeg

At any rate, let’s hope that they get the chance to show us their adult feathers! I’ll make sure to post and update!

I love the coloring!! They look painted. Silly, Monroe will be the one who smiles and bows. Such beautiful birds.
Thinking of going to pet shop for ceramic not light heat bulb for reptiles. Stinkers kept wandering out of MHP last night and getting cold so I ended up sleeping in recliner with them in their flower on my chest w/the corner of a different heating pad over them. THEY slept great.
Oh my goodness, Sydney! Such dedication! I really need a picture of your nighttime sleeping arrangements… :gig I like ceramic heat lights and have used them quite a bit for reptiles. I’ve only used with some kind of thermostat controller because they can get so hot but they are great for heat without light. I used them in a ceramic fixture, like the ones rated for the 250 watt heat lights.

As far as painted… my favorite thing about the violets has been the juvenile stage where they get a mix of feather colors. I called it their “coat of many colors”. Oooh! I think I’ll call one of the violet keets Jacob! Maybe the one not buckwheating is a boy! Found a pic from last fall of poor doomed Macbeth showing his pretty multicolored feathers as an older juvenile/young adult.
039E32A2-DC7F-4D62-8EDF-7D76A20D6931.jpeg

None of this group are fully pearled, they just haven’t gotten their adult feather pattern in yet. I don’t have the best baby pictures, but I have a few…

One of the royal purples just after hatching:
View attachment 2888703

A little older (weird lighting/phone camera is making it look grey but you can see the wavy head stripes):
View attachment 2888705

Cinnamon (name of the bird, not the color) as a hatchling. This is the one I’ve been most uncertain about, and I’m not certain it’s a chocolate. It seems lighter colored than I thought chocolate would be. It has had the same feather pattern as the RPs, but has had a cinnamon base color instead, thus the name…
View attachment 2888707

At any rate, let’s hope that they get the chance to show us their adult feathers! I’ll make sure to post and update!
I almost thought that stunning raven black one was a bronze, but the keet colors aren't right. It's been so long..but
Screenshot_20211105-145126_PDFReader.jpg

Yeah, my rps had somewhat "dots". More like bars, but I remember mentioning how interesting the diff patterning between keets is 20190831_115911.jpg

I almost thought that stunning raven black one was a bronze, but the keet colors aren't right. It's been so long..but View attachment 2888720

Yeah, my rps had somewhat "dots". More like bars, but I remember mentioning how interesting the diff patterning between keets isView attachment 2888724
Awww, which group are those little ones? I see you practicing your guinea whisperer ways with them!

Yeah, the breeder said that I could get bronze keets, but so far haven’t really seen an indication that they are other than RP…

That's my original 6 - see how tiny Nug was compared to everyone else? Darn killing field.:hit
Awwww, is Nugget the RP at the top? Such a sweet pic of your original crew. :love He was about the size difference as Lil Bit versus the rest! Did he eventually catch up? And, were you wearing gloves to protect your hands from their germs or to protect the keets from yours?:gig

Awwww, is Nugget the RP at the top? Such a sweet pic of your original crew. :love He was about the size difference as Lil Bit versus the rest! Did he eventually catch up? And, were you wearing gloves to protect your hands from their germs or to protect the keets from yours?:gig
Nugget is the dinky Lav off to the side ducking back in the heat. The RPs were Blue and Bella 1. I don't remember who told me to wear gloves, but its def for them. I said I don't do it anymore meaning to hand feed ; I've already gone through a few pr already w/these two, btw cleaning brooder, checking their bums (no pasty butt!:yesss:)
The GPs were greedy as keets and pinched, so that might be why I had them on. Eventually they became the gentlest feeders.🤷‍♀️ I guess they got tired of me squealing.
I wonder if Cinnamon is Pewter?
Yes, Nug caught up w/the other standards & gave as good as he got. He remained an outsider for a long time, but that was his doing.

Nugget is the dinky Lav off to the side ducking back in the heat. The RPs were Blue and Bella 1. I don't remember who told me to wear gloves, but its def for them. I said I don't do it anymore meaning to hand feed ; I've already gone through a few pr already w/these two, btw cleaning brooder, checking their bums (no pasty butt!:yesss:)
The GPs were greedy as keets and pinched, so that might be why I had them on. Eventually they became the gentlest feeders.🤷‍♀️ I guess they got tired of me squealing.
I wonder if Cinnamon is Pewter?
Yes, Nug caught up w/the other standards & gave as good as he got. He remained an outsider for a long time, but that was his doing.
Oh I see! Poor chilly little guy!

3 month update! All juveniles are doing well. Lil Bit is filling out and catching up with its siblings, which eases my mind! That’s LB there in the front. LB is still a little lighter colored than the violets, but nowhere near as light pinkish colored as I’ve seen in pictures of pastels…
87981557-20AC-4958-B1A2-0889BD67E9F7.jpeg

The rest of the keets still get deferential treatment and guarding from the adults, at least by day… Sometimes they group together, like here where 8 of the 10 keets are being watched by Scout Orange. The white in the front is Dot, and the White in the back is Monroe, named by @Sydney65. Surplice the pinto RP has her beak open proclaiming that she’s a girl and must buckwheat call!
D424B10E-F85F-46A4-A47F-659903BF9E66.jpeg

I’m still not quite sure what color Cinnamon is. Here’s a pic of her alone:
4759FEE3-29CC-4E88-895C-11DEF216D6BE.jpeg

And standing tall in the back next to her clutchmates, with a royal purple just to the left of her and a violet in front, with adult lavender Ghost between me and the keets:
580F08C3-2327-42DB-8638-DD3980820A69.jpeg

Other fun pics are of Welch with Monroe and Starla in the future run, which I haven’t had time to work on:
86CDFC2B-067F-4E34-9E49-558219284E7E.jpeg

And one of a likely boy, violet juvenile Merlot:
CD1F7F5F-85B5-4315-BE05-E2BE6CA8F56F.jpeg

We’ve had a long, warm and very dry fall, but it’s suddenly gotten cold with a low of 23 F tonight, so wish the birds luck!

Attachments

• 507FD0E8-90DB-4357-BDAF-E42C2CA133E1.jpeg
    507FD0E8-90DB-4357-BDAF-E42C2CA133E1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom