We have chickens for the first time!!!

debster1556

Songster
7 Years
Feb 21, 2014
We live on the Oregon coast and today we brought home 5 chicken. My husband built the Taj Mahal. Sp? Of chicken coops and we did a lot of research, (on here and other chicken owners). We brought home 4 hens and 1 rooster, all of them Buff Orpingtons. They are resting comfortably and all huddled together on their perch, the rooster in the middle. We are excited. I keep hearing tho about Marine disease. What is that?

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us, and congrats on your flock!

Sorry, I don't know anything about Marine disease...

images

Are you referring to Mareks Disease? Yes, that is one disease you don't want! Start with healthy chicks from a good hatchery, be careful when adding new birds from unknown sources and don't keep birds on grounds that have had Mareks. If you come into contact with anyone else's poultry, make sure to wash your hands, change your clothes and burn your shoes. LOL (just kidding. But you would want to never wear those shoes out to see your babies)

If you follow this guideline, your chances of ever having this disease crop is pretty minimal.

Good luck with all your poultry adventures!

Welcome to Back Yard Chickens!!!!
welcome-byc.gif

If you do a google search of "marine disease of chickens" it will come up with a couple of good sites, 2 from the nsgs.gov site. But if you're refering to mareks disease there is alot of good info on the "learning center" here. And the web. You may want ot get a book on chicken health.

Enjoy your Orps! They are a wonderful chicken!

Welcome! I'm new here, too. I have a couple of Buff Orpingtons--they make the sweetest momma hens.

Back
Top Bottom