We have egg squatting!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Celizwalsh, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Celizwalsh

Celizwalsh Chillin' With My Peeps

I am so excited because a couple of my hens (Buff Orpington and Rhode Island Red) have started egg squatting in the past week or two! [​IMG] I have been checking for eggs everyday but haven't seen any yet. Anyone have an idea of the range of time before they start laying? I think I remember reading somewhere that it can be anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks after they start squatting ... is that right?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    That's great![​IMG]

If you're noticing squatting, your hens should start laying within a couple of weeks!

1 person likes this.
  3. Agreed131

Agreed131 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    Reno, NV
    My girls took about 3ish weeks from first squat to first egg...

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Thats good to hear! Squatting doesn't mean eggs are extremely close, but it does mean that you should expect eggs in a few weeks.

5. Celizwalsh

Awesome! I am hoping in the next week or two we get the first one since they have been doing it for about a week or so now. I thought we had one yesterday because I heard what I thought was the egg song but when I went outside to check ... no egg. Oh well they must have been practicing [​IMG]

6. Celizwalsh

Well I didn't have to wait very long. We got our first egg today from one of our Buff Orpingtons [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Great! [​IMG] Nice looking egg!

8. Celizwalsh

Well we got two eggs yesterday so that means someone else is laying now too! I also enjoyed my first fresh egg breakfast today ... It was DELICIOUS! I forgot how much better fresh eggs taste. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by