1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

We have egg squatting!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Celizwalsh, Sep 16, 2014.

1. I am so excited because a couple of my hens (Buff Orpington and Rhode Island Red) have started egg squatting in the past week or two! [​IMG] I have been checking for eggs everyday but haven't seen any yet. Anyone have an idea of the range of time before they start laying? I think I remember reading somewhere that it can be anywhere from a couple days to a couple weeks after they start squatting ... is that right?

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    That's great![​IMG]

If you're noticing squatting, your hens should start laying within a couple of weeks!

1 person likes this.
  3. Agreed131

Agreed131 In the Brooder

Apr 26, 2014
    Reno, NV
    My girls took about 3ish weeks from first squat to first egg...

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Thats good to hear! Squatting doesn't mean eggs are extremely close, but it does mean that you should expect eggs in a few weeks.

5. Awesome! I am hoping in the next week or two we get the first one since they have been doing it for about a week or so now. I thought we had one yesterday because I heard what I thought was the egg song but when I went outside to check ... no egg. Oh well they must have been practicing [​IMG]

6. Well I didn't have to wait very long. We got our first egg today from one of our Buff Orpingtons [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Great! [​IMG] Nice looking egg!

8. Well we got two eggs yesterday so that means someone else is laying now too! I also enjoyed my first fresh egg breakfast today ... It was DELICIOUS! I forgot how much better fresh eggs taste. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: