1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We have eggs!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jaemomma, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Jaemomma

Jaemomma Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2014
    Georgia
    I am so excited! My sister-in-law and her husband moved in with us temporarily and brought their chickens with them. Hers were already laying and have kept laying despite the stress of the move. And then on Thursday mine started laying!!

I have gotten I believe 4 from one of my Rhode Island Reds and 4 from my Silkie since Thursday!! I wasn't expecting so many from the Silkie! I think my other Rhode Island Red may be laying as well but I can't find any eggs from her. (all of my chickens are free range almost all day).

My Rhode Island Reds are 27 weeks. I don't know how old the Silkie is, she was a gift. My Buff Orpingtons don't appear to be laying yet, they are 23 weeks.
    [​IMG]
    On the left we have 2 Silkie eggs, the next two are Black Australorp (which belong to my sister-in-law), then the 3 on the right are Rhode Island Reds.

I got another smaller one today that I think is from a Rhode Island Red but its darker brown and more the size of one from the Australorp. Can egg size and color vary from the same chicken?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Congratulations on the eggs!

Yes, egg color and size can vary from the same bird, especially when they are first beginning to lay. Different birds within a breed may also vary. But, it's also possible that you have another bird laying that you didn't know about!

3. Jaemomma

Jul 16, 2014
    Georgia
    I just found another Silkie egg! Although I am pretty sure its from my sister-in-laws Silkie since I have seen mine lay in the same place every day and this egg was in a different location. Anyway, it is so tiny! Its only about an inch long!

4. Jaemomma

Jul 16, 2014
    Georgia
    This keeps getting better and better! I've just collected 3 more eggs for a total of 6 today! Bring on the egg recipes and take eggs off of the grocery list!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, Baby!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by