We have lift-off!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by handsomecock, Feb 15, 2014.

1. handsomecock

handsomecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok so now what do I do?! Rinse'em? Def wana get one tested...

2. chickiegrrl

chickiegrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    Congrats!!! [​IMG]

I wouldn't rinse them. The nest is clean. As long as there's no poop on the eggs, we don't bother cleaning them. If there is a speck of poop, just pick it off. Don't wash them. Getting eggs wet can cause any bacteria to go through the shell into the egg. The bloom that the hen deposits on the shell is keeping them "clean" inside.

Enjoy your eggs!

3. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA

Thank you! So can I eat them yet? They are as hard and as large as from the store. Also, they were outside for a day or so where the temp is around freezing but inside the coop, does that mean I have to keep them refrigerated? Or can I leave them out in a bowl?

4. chickiegrrl

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    We keep our eggs in the fridge. Eating them shouldn't be a problem. It gets below zero here and the eggs will sit in the nest for hours. As long as the shells haven't cracked, they should be fine. The texture may be different if they froze, but didn't crack. But they should still taste fine.

5. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA

6. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Call me crazy but the eggs dont really taste different than ones from the store. I have tried scrambled and over easy. Only noticed a slightly sweeter and creamier yoke. Im feeding them layered organic soy free pellets. Sometimes crickets and raisins. They free range here once a week but its winter so theres not much for em. Am I doing something wrong?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  7. chickiegrrl

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    Y'know, it's funny, NPR did a test using regular store-bought eggs and backyard raised organic eggs. Nobody in the test could tell the difference. All of the eggs got positive reviews, the determining factor was based on how the egg was prepared more than where the egg came from. Personally, I don't see a huge difference in my winter eggs and regular eggs, but the eggs in the summer are glorious! The yolks are orange and I honestly think that there is a difference in taste and texture. Like you said, this winter there isn't much they can eat that is green. Bear with it, I think you'll like the summertime payoff.

For me, knowing that I've controlled what my girls eat and knowing that the eggs are fresh from the coop means more to me than anything. [​IMG]

8. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Thanks for that, i'll be patient. Ehat do you feed them out of curiosity?

9. chickiegrrl

May 20, 2013
    Monticello, MN
    I feed them Purina Layena crumbles mixed 50% with gamebird food because my girls have been feather picking. They get 1 handful of scratch, 1 handful of black oil sunflower seeds, and 1 handful of dried mealworms mixed together twice a day as a snack. I also give them a bunch of field greens, lettuce, cabbage, or some kind of herbs for some greens. Sometimes I give them oatmeal with raisins if it's really cold, like tomorrow morning is going to be.

10. handsomecock

Aug 9, 2013
    Brooklyn, NY, USA
    Whoa, that sounds expensive. But im sure well worth it. Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by