We have our first chicks ever!!! We are sooooooo excited!

RichnSteph

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Adkins Texas
My lovely wife went in halves with a family friend on an incubator and we put 44 eggs in there, only 5 of them are from our flock and the rest are from the friends flock of 30+. So far only 1 out of the 44 isn't shaking around or already hatched. Of our five eggs three of them were in the refrigerator for a couple of hours before we took them to the incubator (yeah we really don't know what we're doing....) and of those five we have 3 Buff Orpingtons and 1 Black Australop (spelling?) that have hatched! We're still waiting on the last one but fear it might not hatch due to it being in the fridge but the others have hatched so I'm still hoping.

OMG they are so stinking cute I just want to hold them and pet them! We're setting up our brooder tomorrow and plan on starting them on medicated chick starter that's been fermented.

I can't believe how happy I am at a couple of chickens being born. My 18 month old daughter is easily twice as happy as I am and my wife is so happy that she's been talking about them non-stop. I guess chicken math doesn't really count when you hatch them yourself.

RIchnSteph+chicks

Last edited:
that's so exciting!!! Chicks are so stinkin fun! Congrats!
wee.gif

Congratulations on your hatch :celebrate

It's such a wonderful miracle when they hatch and really is a fabulous thing nature does. Also rearing them is a very rewarding job too. Nothing like seeing them grow into great chickens it is fab!!
Wishing you the very best of luck with your chicks in the future :frow

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom