We have Pheasants now and some pics

It is not pretty if it happens. Very bloody. You might want to consider putting peepers on them if they start it. Once it starts it happens fast in my one time experience. I have shied away from pheasants ever since then.

Maybe experienced pheasant breeders can give you some info about it or maybe I just got a bunch of pheasants with the cannibal gene in them.

Oh those are so cute congratulations
droolin.gif

Quote:
I have 16 eggs in the bater are they really that bad to pick and fly out of the brooder?!?

Should i cover the brooder from day one??

Would pine tar stop the picking i use that on my chicks if they pick???

Oh gosh i didn't know that it sounds horrible......oh i don't know me and these pheasants might not click to well hhhhhmmmm

I have no idea how it started or why but I tried everything but the peepers and nothing worked. The 1st time it was 1 with the bloody butt and the next day it would be 3. Out of 18 I ended up with a cock and 2 hens surviving it.

I have never had a problem like it with turkeys or chickens.

Oh goodness i didn't know this before i bought the eggs and it's to late to remove them from my incu.............

I guess i will have to sell them when they hatch or figure something this is threw me for a loop.......

Last edited:
Quote:
I have 16 eggs in the bater are they really that bad to pick and fly out of the brooder?!?

Should i cover the brooder from day one??

Would pine tar stop the picking i use that on my chicks if they pick???

Oh gosh i didn't know that it sounds horrible......oh i don't know me and these pheasants might not click to well hhhhhmmmm

It took ours about a week to be able to jump out of the brooder. The sides are about 16 inches high I guess - we are just using a plastic tote for them. We have some RIR chicks for sale and if they sell this weekend we can move them to a much bigger brooder.

So far ours haven't shown any interest in picking. They are under a red light as well. in a weeks time they have doubled in size and are really shoveling down the feed now.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom