We have PIPS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AllyRodrigues, Nov 3, 2011.

1. AllyRodrigues

AllyRodrigues Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Sorry to have to post this as well, but it's my first batch! As I walked to the dryer this morning, I heard my first "cheep cheeps". I looked closer and saw that at least 3 or 4 have pipped!

I have 15 white leghorns from eBay and 2 of my own backyard mysteries in there! Pics to follow as they come in!

2. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    cant wait

3. texaschickmom

texaschickmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2009
    Lindale, TX
    Isn't it exciting?[​IMG]

4. AllyRodrigues

AllyRodrigues Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    OK, here was my chick hatching disaster from last night. I had lots of pips when I got home from work yesterday and two chicks were hatching all the way out. I had not expected them a day early and was unprepared, so we ran to Tractor Supply to get stuff.

When I got home, I found that our cat (who hasn't cared about incubating eggs for 3 weeks) has knocked the entire incubator off of the table and onto a chair. It didn't completely open, but all of the moisture was gone and the hatched chicks and eggs were in a pile in the corner of it.

I panicked..I moved the drying chicks to the tub I bought and tried to nicely rearrange the eggs in the incubator. They all got sticky. A couple more who were already almost done were able to finish, but the others were glued in. Against BYC advice, I helped them out (making sure they had absorbed everything). I helped three out and left them in the bator overnight to dry.

They seemed fine this morning, so I moved them to the tub with the others.

At least 3 more have externally pipped and I feel like they are also glued, but I had to leave for work this morning. I guess I'll see what the situation is when I get home.

So 11 of 17 are in the brooder..

Everything had gone so right!!! I will never let that happen again.

here are the few few out:

[​IMG]

5. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    OMGoodness! I bet you FREAKED!! As soon as these dumb cats hear noises & chirping they get all dumb about it and try to hunt. [​IMG] I hve to lock mine in the bathroom with a litter box at night if I have any due to hatch.

What cuties!!!

6. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Awww, I hope all the rest make it out ok!

7. Mama duck 8

Mama duck 8 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    I remember my first time ! [​IMG]

8. leghornlover@123

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2011
    Santa Fe, Nm
    post pics after work:D

9. BasicallyHeather

BasicallyHeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Lowellville, Ohio
    I got my first pip, too, about an hour ago! This is my first time incubating...we only set three eggs, and this is our only one that made it this far. I can't wait until my kiddos get home from school so that they can watch! Good luck to you, pip-buddy! [​IMG]

10. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:X2 I have a white silkie egg that pipped not to long ago [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] No chores will be getting done today [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by