We have two seperate groups of chicks. They came from two different

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 007Dawn, May 7, 2009.

1. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    places at two different times. So we have kept them seperate. The first group is 6-7 weeks old and the secound group is 5-6 weeks old. Everyone is healthy and happy! We have one baby that doesn't seem to grow though and she is the same size we brought her home at.

So question is when is a good time to get the two groups together? How do we do this?

Thank you![​IMG][​IMG]

I just love the smilies.[​IMG]

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    You could start introducing them now. Are they in a place where they can see each other? If not, put a barrier between them and let them see & be w/ each other.

3. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    You've already established that both groups are not diseased in any way, so I'd say go ahead and combine them.

I did basically the same thing, though they were only 4 days apart. The size difference is freaking amazing at this point. At 5+ weeks they'll be working on their pecking order, so I'd get them mixed together soon so that there's less chaos with the order rearranging.

4. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    Thank you and will do both. Put them next to each first and then go from there.

They are all so friendly! [​IMG]

5. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

When you put them together, just give them something fun to play with (grass clippings, treats, whatever) and they'll be one happy family within a day or two.

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would try to introduce them ASAP. Put them in a common area with plenty of treats and watch them carefully. I use scratch grains and seeds. They are at the age where they are probably starting to develop their pecking order. Are they chest/belly bumping yet? They will probably chase each other around and puff up and run at each other, part of establishing their pecking order. They should be ok as long as they don't get too aggressive and draw blood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by