We just picked up our 8 buff orpingtons!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by goldeneggtees, Apr 4, 2009.

1. goldeneggtees

goldeneggtees Fluffy Butt Nut

Mar 11, 2009
    Long Island, NY
    Hi all, our 8 chicks arrived!As a matter of fact, one is on my keyboard as we speak! They are soooo sweet! Question, how do you clean poop off their butt? Or do you just leave it for now? I have to take a pic of them on my keyboard, they are looking at my fingers like what the heck are u doing. my kids think it's funny, all 8 are here now :–)

2. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    Buff orps seem to always have poop on their butt but it needs to be removed as soon as possible. I have tons of orps and i find that i am wiping and picking more off of them then i do my new baby. , human that is. My method is to take them into the bathroom and use warm to hot water. Then with either a small washcloth or q-tip, start softening the poop, don't pull. It may take a while but be very gentle. I have actually killed one of my chicks in the begining from pulling it off. Eventually it will come off but check your baby's butts everyday to make sure it isnt coming back. It should clear up in a couple of days but there are always exceptions. Good luck with your new babies!!

3. finnleyjo

finnleyjo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2009
    One of my buff orps had a bit of pasty butt. I gently cleaned him off with a warm wet washcloth. Then dried him off and put him back under the heat lamp.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    I didn't have trouble with my buffs but oH! the comets. I rinse the little butt in warm water, dry well and put back in under the light. I also gave them a few hours of sugar water and the next day all was well. they are precious with their tiny white wings. jean

5. lilbirdee

lilbirdee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    Oh I am so jealous. I don't have any yet, but Buff Orpingtons are my favorites. I'm getting 2 (maybe I'll get 3) BO's this next Wednesday. Also have on order, a Silverlaken Velder an Araucana & a Welsummer.
    Am I crazy to want at least 1 of every kind?
    It is truly a sickness and I have it baaaad![​IMG]

6. chick'n'run

chick'n'run Out Of The Brooder

Feb 18, 2009
    Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
    i'm no professional, but isn't pasty butt caused by feeding them too early? i have no experience whatsoever, so im just asking [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by