1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

We just started our own family of chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chknhouse, Apr 19, 2012.

1. chknhouse

chknhouse New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    New Jersey
    We are a family of 5. and just bought our first chickens last weekend. We started with a flock of 12 but lost one the first night. Se was a little small and weak when we got them home. So I went back the next day and bought 3 more one to replace the one we lost and 2 more friends.
    We have easter eggers, some yellow silkies, road island reds and black ones ( not sure of all there correct names yet)
    My wife grew up on a farm in maine and had several chickens and other animals. We are building our coop now. I would like some ideas on how to build the pen. We would like to be able to walk in it. People tell me to cover the ground with wire and cover the top?

2. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Hello and :welcome
    I'm sorry you lost one of your chicks. :hugs I hope you have many rewarding experiences raising the others! :D
    As for your coop, you could check out the "Coops" tab at the top of the page ^^. If you're building your coop out on the dirt ground, you don't need to cover the ground, as the chickens will be fine scratching at the bare ground inside. The top does need to be covered though, to protect from predators, if you have any, and rain.
    Many people build their coops out of wood... ours is made of corrugated steel as is pretty much just a rectangular box with roosts and nesting places which we can easily walk into.
    Whatever you decide to do, good luck and enjoy the site! :D

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC. You can lay welded wire fence on the ground running around the outside of your pen attached to the bottom of your fenced pen as an "apron" to prevent predators from digging/tunneling into the pen. Shovel dirt on top of the fence if you wish. I used chicken wire as well as the welded wire for an apron, but the chicken wire is rusting and disintegrating due to moist soil and time. The welded wire fence is fine though.

4. chknhouse

chknhouse New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    New Jersey
    I ve had many suggestions. Thank you both for your ideas. Someone suggested digging a ditch and putting the metal wire in the ditch and filling with dirt. I was thinking of making four stud walls and covering the outside, floor and over the top with chicken wire. I keep over thinking this. I know there has to be a simple way.
    Someone had said to line the top, sides and floor with chicken wire and put wood chips and sand on the floor of the pen
    My coop is 4 x 6 with a a frame roof outside access nesting boxes the whole coop will be enclosed. But how Im not sure of. That's where I start over thinking things. I don't want to make it real low because we want to be able to get into it and clean it out
    Any simple suggestions[​IMG]

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

6. chem

chem Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2012
    Space Coast, Florida
    welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

there are sooooo many people on here that can give advice on coup building. i am a new chicken mom myself and made the mistake of using chicken wire on the outside. that was a big no no. whatever you do, think about the chicks in the long run. spending a little extra more will save heartache and problems from predators :)

i hope you have a great time with your new babies!

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

Laying wire on the floor of the run will prevent the chickens from being able to scratch and dig - favorite activities for hens. I would use Dawg's method, or do what I did and bury a foot of hardware cloth all the way around my run (my soil is very hard and stony or I would have buried 1 1/2"). I like the dirt floor of my run, but do use hay or straw in the fall/winter/spring to reduce the mud (soil is also heavy clay).

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good luck. :thumbsup

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011