We know broody hens. How about a nanny hen?

Pics
This pullet is five months old and has not spent any significant time free ranging.
She mingles with other chickens that do and there are insects and wild birds to consider that also can be carriers.

Ever since I changed my deworming routine and started to deworm the chicks early, the overall health and vitality of my youngsters increased significantly, and it has reduced their susceptibility to coccidia and other diseases.

Depending on the medication you choose, it is easy to do, has no adverse effects and is quite cheap as well.

I've been cruising the internet trying to find Flubenol. While it's sold in most European countries, it isn't sold under that name in the US. However, as near as I can determine, Flubenol and the active ingredient fenbendazole in Safeguard are the same thing.
They are not the same and the dosage and duration for the administration etc. are different, but they do belong to the same group of anthelmintics: Benzimidazoles

Morning report on May, the pullet that is currently experiencing lameness.

To recap, I'm treating this one for possible viral and/or bacterial causes in addition to an injury. I'm especially curious to see if giving her valacyclovir, a herpes med, will help mitigate possible nerve degeneration if this is caused by Marek's or some form of herpes virus.

May seems unchanged from yesterday, and she's under a heat lamp in the run at present, and perfectly content in her box with windows to the world.
P1010001.JPG

Morning report on May, the pullet that is currently experiencing lameness.

To recap, I'm treating this one for possible viral and/or bacterial causes in addition to an injury. I'm especially curious to see if giving her valacyclovir, a herpes med, will help mitigate possible nerve degeneration if this is caused by Marek's or some form of herpes virus.

May seems unchanged from yesterday, and she's under a heat lamp in the run at present, and perfectly content in her box with windows to the world. View attachment 2439880
I think she appreciates having a safe and warm place. :goodpost:

Yes, she is becoming accepting of being under heat most of the time. I let her out into the run during the warmest part of the day, which here, is barely above freezing, but the sun coming in to the winterized run makes it pretty balmy. She hung close with her mates, and they all had a little snack of cracked corn, and she preened. But when she appeared fatigued, I gathered her up and held her for a while during which she nodded off. Then she went back under her heat lamp.

One thing encouraging, she isn't pecking at her thigh as she's been doing, a sign perhaps the pain is lessening.

Back
Top Bottom