We know broody hens. How about a nanny hen?

Pics
I have a ten-year old GLW named Su-su. A few years back she went partially broody while I was raising chicks, and she adopted them when they were six weeks old. She raised them and cared for them until they were four months old. Now she's decided to adopt my four newest Blue Australorpe pullets.

She's very gentle with them and she permits them to climb on her and snuggle with her. This is only during the day since the chicks have their heating pad, and Su-su spends her nights in the coop with her friends.

I give her meal worms or other things to eat, and she shares most of it with the chicks.

I discovered Su-su's talent for being a nanny when I decided to stick her in with the chicks due to her being harassed for being lame. Su-su is able to stick up for herself, but due to her lameness, it exhausts her. So she gets to relax in a safe place, and the chicks have a nanny hen.View attachment 2294548
I have a hen who thinks it is her job to mother bantams, even if they are full grown. She even tried to cover one of my bantam roos with her wings while he was on the perch, the other night LOL!
Sorry your hen gave up the chicks! :hit

I just now finished reading thru the entire thread. Pics & comments had me smiling and laughing. Until jules issue arose, & she didnt recover. U clearly did all u could for her. No doubt Su-su knew jules would not recover 2 days before u did. . When u feel up to it, please resume updates with su-su and the 3 remaining chicks. Despite th sad loss of jules, its still an awesome story! Ps. I have several blue australorps that i got in order to make blue easter eggers. The blue australorp hens are 2+ years now, & some of the prettiest, sweetest gentlest hens ive ever had. And their blue easter egger chicks are beautiful too!

Treats help with grief, meal worms for Su-su and the three surviving chicks and two huge brownies for their human.
P1010003.JPG

Su-su continues to care for her three surviving chicks even though, at going on fourteen weeks, they are nearly as big as she is. She's as fiercely protective as if they were just days old. When Su-su is leading her normal life, she's very docile and keeps to herself, staying out of the hustle and bustle of flock activity. Since she's gone partially broody to care for these chicks, she's a formidable gate keeper.

I have an eighteen-month old Cinnamon Queen named Pearl. Pearl is always on the hunt for food. I noticed Su-su has lost considerable weight so I brought her a dish of food with some BOSS in it. I got my camera ready, because every single time Su-su has a dish of food, Pearl shows up and tried to horn in. It's very predictable that Pearl will get on the receiving end of Su-su's wrath. So I was ready with the camera. But Su-su was too fast, like a snake striking, the action was over before the camera booted up.

Su-su latches onto Pearl's comb or wing or wattles, whatever is handy, and she hangs on like a bull dog. It's got to hurt, but Pearl never learns. The only accommodation Pearl makes to Su-su is keeping her distance and circling the food dish until she can move in quickly for a bite. Su-su still is able to get in a punishing peck when she does. It's very entertaining to watch. These four photos will give you an idea of this little "dance".
P1010001.JPG

Attachments

• P1010002.JPG
    P1010002.JPG
    429.8 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    434.5 KB · Views: 23
  • P1010004.JPG
    P1010004.JPG
    436.7 KB · Views: 22

Back