We know broody hens. How about a nanny hen?

Pics
Time for an update of everyone's favorite nanny hen Su-su.

Su-su is nearly finished with her molt, and along with her current lifestyle encouraging her to be more active, she's looking exceptionally gorgeous and fit for her advanced years. She's even managing to hop onto the high perch on her own to roost flanked snugly by her three chicks.

This week, I've noticed she has a tolerance for the three six-month old EEs. These three are also survivors of an early summer tragedy where a poisonous caterpillar nailed two of their brood. They weren't fortunate to have a nanny hen to care for and stick up for them, and they've been sort of left to fend for themselves. So they often wander into Su-su's run to grab a bite to eat since they find competing with some of the beastly personalities in the main run exhausting.

None get the vicious reprimands that Su-su delivers to Pearl the Constant Eater. Su-su instead permits these three to share the food bowl with her, though the younger three chicks defer to the three older EEs.

I've been kind of hoping the EEs would decide to move back into Su-su's coop since there's plenty of room for them. They moved out of the coop on their own not long after their mates suffered their end by the caterpillar, and roosting time often involves a couple of pushy hens trying to bully their way onto their allotted perch space. (Yes, Pearl is often involved in these conflicts.)

For now, the arrangement seems to be working as well as one can expect anything involving chickens to work.
P1010002.JPG

Time for an update of everyone's favorite nanny hen Su-su.

Su-su is nearly finished with her molt, and along with her current lifestyle encouraging her to be more active, she's looking exceptionally gorgeous and fit for her advanced years. She's even managing to hop onto the high perch on her own to roost flanked snugly by her three chicks.

This week, I've noticed she has a tolerance for the three six-month old EEs. These three are also survivors of an early summer tragedy where a poisonous caterpillar nailed two of their brood. They weren't fortunate to have a nanny hen to care for and stick up for them, and they've been sort of left to fend for themselves. So they often wander into Su-su's run to grab a bite to eat since they find competing with some of the beastly personalities in the main run exhausting.

None get the vicious reprimands that Su-su delivers to Pearl the Constant Eater. Su-su instead permits these three to share the food bowl with her, though the younger three chicks defer to the three older EEs.

I've been kind of hoping the EEs would decide to move back into Su-su's coop since there's plenty of room for them. They moved out of the coop on their own not long after their mates suffered their end by the caterpillar, and roosting time often involves a couple of pushy hens trying to bully their way onto their allotted perch space. (Yes, Pearl is often involved in these conflicts.)

For now, the arrangement seems to be working as well as one can expect anything involving chickens to work.
View attachment 2382824
What a great photo. They all look happy and healthy! :love

Early winter update. It's hideously cold and snowing hard here. Single digits. Su-su is old and all the old girls feel the cold much more than the younger ones, so I hang a heat lamp in the run for them to warm themselves.

Su-su was huddled with her "chicks" in the rear run which is much colder than the main run. I picked her up and carried her to the heat lamp in the main run, and she stuck like glue underneath it. However, her chicks missed her. Note the second photo where it looks like a child visiting a parent in prison.

I carried Su-su to her coop where the other two chicks were on the perch in front of the Cozy Coop heater. So Su-su has been reunited with her brood, and they have food and water in the coop if they choose to remain there.
P1010002.JPG
P1010003.JPG
P1010004.JPG

Early winter update. It's hideously cold and snowing hard here. Single digits. Su-su is old and all the old girls feel the cold much more than the younger ones, so I hang a heat lamp in the run for them to warm themselves.

Su-su was huddled with her "chicks" in the rear run which is much colder than the main run. I picked her up and carried her to the heat lamp in the main run, and she stuck like glue underneath it. However, her chicks missed her. Note the second photo where it looks like a child visiting a parent in prison.

I carried Su-su to her coop where the other two chicks were on the perch in front of the Cozy Coop heater. So Su-su has been reunited with her brood, and they have food and water in the coop if they choose to remain there.
View attachment 2388030View attachment 2388031View attachment 2388032
Love the prison shot!!! :love

Su-su absolutely has bonded with these three Australorps, showing no signs of cutting them loose and returning to her previous role as a lame, aging hen in the main flock.

Anyone notice Pearl sneaking into the coop at the far right of frame number three? Pearl, herself, may be bonding with these three youngsters.

I didnt notice Pearl sneakin in til u pointed her out. Hmmm. Bonding with the 3, or coming to try and steal their food?🤣
Trying to steal their food. Pearl has an overblown sense of entitlement due to my needing to give her one-on-one care when she was one day old for a foot injury I only saw after bringing her home from the feed store. The result was a chick that believed she was very special. I never need to hunt for Pearl since she's always underfoot.

My red sex-links have always been my boldest birds. Just last night, i began moving all the 2020 models into a huge run, after i consolidated other older birds into another coop. I waited til well after dark to make the moves. I moved the 22 week old easter eggers first, where they remained quietly & obediently on their new roosts. Then i started moving the 17 week old isa browns. Midway thru moving the 15 isas, i saw the first ones i had moved off the roosts and exploring. "Hey shine the light over here ms. chicken lady; we wanna check out our new digs!" 🤣 The various breeds do have common personality characteristics, & i appreciate them all. (And of course within each breed there are exceptions to the rules). But ive always found the varieties of red sex-links to be the boldest and most curious. Pearl is no doubt also a constant source of entertainment for u. 😊

Back
Top Bottom