We know broody hens. How about a nanny hen?

EA5EF147-05CF-4746-94E5-4F7725AA0EA3.jpeg
Su-su meets the four new one-day old Blue Plymouths - Elsie, Freddie, Hazel. and Fanny . Su-su completely ignored them.
83BFEE13-E013-4BCA-A458-4B3C6F2519D1.jpeg
One week later, Su-su is still mostly ignoring the four, but they are really warming up to Su-su. Su-su is still ignoring them.

It took Su-su six weeks of complete exposure to new chicks to trigger her hormones the first time, The second time, last year, it took four weeks for her to adopt the chicks she was exposed to. This time, we shall have to wait and see what Su-su decides.

How is Su-su's broody conditioning coming along regarding the newest Blue Plymouth chicks you might be wondering.

It's been about two and a half weeks that Su-su has been spending the afternoons with the chicks. Today was below freezing and I left Su-su in her own run with a heat lamp to take the edge off this recurrence of miserable winter weather. The chicks have been coping with the bitter cold by using their heating pad cave a lot. So I didn't bother bringing Su-su in with them today.

It was 4 pm and I noticed Su-su had waddled over to the main run and was eyeing the chicks. I was tending to a hen that appeared to be having egg binding issues, and when I returned, Su-su was at the gate of the chicks' pen wanting to be let inside. I opened the gate and Su-su went right in.

I hear no broody sounds yet, but this is certainly a step in that direction.

Su-su trotted over to the chick pen again this morning, waiting to be let inside. This is out of character for her to put herself in the midst of the main flock as she feels vulnerable to them due to her disabled legs. So she's definitely revving up her interest in the new chicks to discard her reluctance to mingle with the flock.

How is Su-su doing with the 4 new little blues? I find the recent photo of Su-su with her back to them just as endearing as the very first photo you posted in this thread. Su-su looks so gentle even as she ignores them, & the wee ones look so --- hopeful!

I wouldnt be surprised if Su-su decides to cohabitate with them even if her broody hormones dont return. Being harassed and bullied by mean ol' big girls, or cuddling with soft, nice little ones; hmmm what will wise miss Su-su choose?! Update when you can!

May has been having a rough time of it lately. Su-su remains very protective of her when May is feeling vulnerable and clings to Su-su. May was completely paralyzed again this week, getting better, though.

On a good day, Su-su and May and the four chicks will all sun/dirt bathe together in a sunny spot in the main run. Of the two, May is the more tolerant of the chicks, being immensely patient with them and not minding when the chicks are eating what she craves. Su-su not so much. Su-su will show a bit more impatience if she's intent on eating and the chicks crowd in to grab a bite.

I have a photo in the camera. Just need time to download it.

I see "granny hen" is with the group too. 🙂 And the chicks look fully feathered already! Re May, i was going to ask about her on her thread, but since u mentioned her, will ask now. With her becoming paralyzed again and now recovering, did you give her any meds this round? If so, what? You now know what the issue is, but it still seems to me you somehow discovered a medicine "cocktail" that can keep the symptoms at bay. Even if not permanently, long enough to allow them more life, as long as that life has quality. Like chemo and radiation for cancer for instance. Are you going to update May's thread soon? If so i will wait to see what you say.

Back
Top Bottom