We lost 20 Birds today to foxes.

I'm well aware of the hunting debate over here, many years ago whilst working with horses here I was a temporary Hunt Groom. Yeah nature will take a hand in culling some of the foxes as that's the natural order of things if we humans don't interfere to much, but that unfortunately takes time and in the mean time I have to protect my remaining birds and be able to live my life and earn an income. Which ever way its cost me and will cost me a lot of money.

The wire was dug down and turned out away from the fence, even so they were determined enough to dig down a few feet to get to it. I'm upgrading the thickness of the wire on the lower part of the run and whats dug into the ground. So it will be harder for them to actually break thorough the wire if they dig down like that again. There will also be some solid planking going around the base of the fence to about my waist height and large stone / rock put around the outside of the run by a few feet wide. So that they have to dig a long distance back to try n get under it. This chicken run will end up looking like Fort Knox for chickens by the time its finished lol.

There is certainly an ongoing debate as to releasing a few Wolves back in to specific protected areas to try and return the natural balance of thing as Deer are proving to be a huge problem here as well in some places. So much so that the native Deer species are suffering because of the introduced species. But how likely this is to ever happen I'm unsure.

Maikan

Back
Top Bottom