We lost a chicken.

Momaha

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 20, 2011
Sooner Nation WWHQ
She was such a sweet girl and so full of personality. We found big pile of feathers scattered about. We found some racoon tracks. The door to their nests was open and four chickens were inside their tractor and five were out. The latch to the door on their nests is really hard to open and close and our best guess is that the kids had opened it as we have two chickens that just started laying and the kids are always checking for eggs. I crashed early last night and my wonderful DH locked them up and didn't check the latch on that door - he is sick about it. I doubt a racoon could open it without it being partially opened because I can barely open it without putting my weight into the door to get to open.

I had been calling her/him Hackles because she/he developed these hackle feathers. I have never heard her/him crow but the other night at dusk she/he was bossing one of the other pullets into their chicken tractor- a roo behavior I thought. Maybe she was just trying to protect the other girls and I know put up a fight because these WLH's are so incredibly athletic. Her buddy is out there now walking around the yard just cackling looking for her I think. They were really close and always palling around. Chickens form such deep loyal bonds. My DH is setting up tonight with a gun.

R.I.P. Hackles. We will triple check all latches every night in your honor.

83267_side_view.jpg

83267_hackles.jpg

Yesterday my DH installed a solar powered security light that has a motion sensor and a wireless driveway alarm system that also has a motion sensor, all for under $50, on their chicken tractor. Sure enough about 10:30 everything is going off and there's a huge racoon. My DH shot him and ran off in the dark twitching all crazy.

"My DH shot him and ran off in the dark twitching all crazy."

I sure hope you mean the raccoon ran off!!!
big_smile.png

Sorry for your loss; hopefully you got that little bugger.

sorry to hear about your hackles, if a he, then he prob died defending the others. A racoon can open any latch with their little hands, so it's doubtful anyone was remiss about the closure. Your best bet is a real lock and key, the only thing they can't open, just don't leave the key under a rock or they'll figure that out too!

Back
Top Bottom