We lost a hen

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jimz1, Nov 6, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    We just lost one of our NH Reds sometime this afternoon. One of our dogs found it. It was only about 40 feet from the coop. I don't know what killed her. I know it wasn't our dogs because they were with us all day in the truck.I didn'texamine it very close, but it kind of looked like she had a hole on the top of her back. I don't think it was a bird because it was so close by. Does anyone have any ideas? My wife thinks it could be a dog, cause we've been having problems with the neighbor dogs coming over.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry you lost a hen. It can be hard to figure out what killed her. It almost sounds like what ever it was, got scared off during the attack.

3. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    So sorry for you loss [​IMG] Hmm, Im not sure what got her [​IMG] Maybe set up a game cam and a couple traps.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2011
  4. DaughterOfEve

DaughterOfEve Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Montague, MI
    If you can check for a second puncture wound on the belly it would help confirm dog. They use their mouths to explore everything and will use it to grab at a critter then let it go. If it doesn't keep moving they will just leave it sometimes. I have seen my own dog catch mice, chipmunks, kittens, etc. and once it stops kickin' so to speak, he looses interest. A dog's mouth has the large upper canine tooth and a corresponding lesser canine on the bottom.

I am regretful for your lose. It is never easy and one of our greatest concerns here are undiscipled dog owners that allow their animals to be outside without supervision or contanment. It is a shame.

5. mrpekinduck

mrpekinduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    Ducky Land!
    If it was near the vent than it may have been a weasel as they either rip off the head or rip a hole in the vent and rip out the entrails. Sorry about your hen! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by