We lost our first girl today.

@Howard, I just read what salt load does to an animal and I probably need to research a better deterrent load such that the on the spot repercussion is memorable, even painful, but doesn't cause enduring pain and suffering.

I wish we could afford to fence our 18 acres but that isn't an option at the moment.
Could you fence in an area for the chickens, not the whole property? I fenced around mine to try to keep the coyotes and bears out.
We had a year of harrassment by a pack of 3 dogs. They ripped open a chicken tractor, killed all the POL hens in it. When i finally found out who owned the dogs, she refused to fence or restrain them. I flat out told her i would shoot them if they killed again.
I am an animal lover from way back. I never thought i could kill a dog, but in the end all three died. They killed all my quail! They just kept coming back.
The lady had the nerve to tell me the pit bull was not hers, she had just been feeding it for a year! Next they could have started targeting people. I tried to contact animal control but no one ever came. I began to understand why people shoot stray dogs. People take dogs they no longer want and dump them in the country. They do not know how to fend for themselves, so they do what they need to. The saddest part is, this does not have to happen if owners are responsible. It is the animals that suffer in the long run.

@Howard, I just read what salt load does to an animal and I probably need to research a better deterrent load such that the on the spot repercussion is memorable, even painful, but doesn't cause enduring pain and suffering.

I wish we could afford to fence our 18 acres but that isn't an option at the moment.
Really sorry to hear about your hen. It's so heartbreaking to lose them. :hugs I was also going to suggest what Capricorn farm did, perhaps fencing in just a smaller area for your hens? We have about 1.5 acres fenced in for ours. It's plenty of room for them to roam around in, and also keeps them close to the house so we can keep a better eye and ear on them. Hope the rest of your flock stays safe.

That's what John and I are talking about now. Give them an acre or so. I know electric fence is more affordable, but is it really effective for dogs? I've seen dogs scoot right under. And if the lower wire is too low, wouldn't it kill a chicken?

We need to run errands, but I feel paralyzed right now. Unwilling to leave, at least until we know the fate of the three missing girls. Rosy sometimes disappears for most of a day only to cheerfully reappear for an afternoon snack. But Mama Maggie - she sticks with her chicks, even tho they are 7 weeks plus old. They are still calling for her...

Elvis our Roo must know some are missing he's been walking and crowing, and Mama Maggie is back as well as another Maggie (both speckled Sussex - we have 6 and you can't tell them apart).

But still no Rosy. She is fearless and friendly. It's why we love her, and why I fear she was killed.

There was another thread and poster here who suggested a paint ball gun as a deterrent.
It hurts but is non-lethal. May be an option in the short term until you can get fencing up in at least a small area. Only issue is you have to be there and see them to use it. I know the fencing is expensive. We just finished fencing 4 acres and did it ourselves to save the labor costs. But the materials do add up regardless, and it's work! We are going to do about 4 more in the future, but it won't be soon! For electric fencing you run the wire based on what you want it to accomplish. If you are keeping something in you run the wire inside the fence at the height of the animal you are keeping in, like for cattle that will push on fencing, if you want to keep something out, you run the wire on the outside of the fence. My father had it around a koi pond to keep the raccoons from eating his fish. For security for your birds you could use a (relatively) inexpensive wire fence and run the electric wire around the outside bottom where they won't get to it. You could also use something like this: https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/shock-or-not-poultry-fence?cat_id=181 which would give you some flexibility to move them around some.

That's what John and I are talking about now. Give them an acre or so. I know electric fence is more affordable, but is it really effective for dogs? I've seen dogs scoot right under. And if the lower wire is too low, wouldn't it kill a chicken?

We need to run errands, but I feel paralyzed right now. Unwilling to leave, at least until we know the fate of the three missing girls. Rosy sometimes disappears for most of a day only to cheerfully reappear for an afternoon snack. But Mama Maggie - she sticks with her chicks, even tho they are 7 weeks plus old. They are still calling for her...
I don't know anything about electric fencing, but you can sometimes find free or cheap fencing on Craigslist. We were able to put up our fence without spending too much by getting it on CL.

We need to run errands, but I feel paralyzed right now. Unwilling to leave, at least until we know the fate of the three missing girls.

An electric fence designed to protect and confine poultry keeps dogs out and the birds in. Lowest wire is only a few inches off the ground, and additional wires staggered above that. Although an electric fence metes out a violent, painful shock, it does not kill anything.....birds, dogs or other. Shocks are intermittent......about once per second.

Touch one and it will make a believer out of you.

No need to be trapped by your desire to keep your birds safe. Once you get one up and running and animals are trained to it things settle down pretty fast.

This is what my 4 wire fences look like......

fence 6.jpg fence 2.jpg

And this is the response you get from dogs and predators when they tangle with one......

Back
Top Bottom