We lost our girl to a hawk

5.3acredream

Songster
Feb 8, 2018
South Jersey
20180904_181414.jpg

Here she is, strutting center. Sadly, she was just at egg laying maturity. We were just waiting for her to start! Stupid hawks. I just wanted them to get fresh bugs and greens :(

Now we have 5 girls and 1 rooster. He's very kind to his girls but I might have to get two chicks in the spring... just so he won't overwhelm them or because chicken math.

I lost three to hawks this past summer. I call them air bombs. They were in a very large fenced area, too wide to cover, as I actually mow that area. They do have a covered run, but of course they turned that to dirt in no time. Now I don't let them out until an hour or less before dark and stay out there with my German Shepherd to stand guard. It's very sad and frustrating, because they had all kinds of tree and bush cover , but the hawk still found a way. I am getting two roosters in the Spring, along with more chicks, in hopes I will have a brave rooster who will fight for his hens. I feel your pain, hon.

I'm so sorry for your loss!!!! We lost two about 7 week old pullets recently in one day , EE & American Dominque to one of those _____________!Then just a couple evenings ago, we were sitting on the back covered deck and one over-shot the chickens and ended up in my wife's face! Had she not ducked out ofthe way that could have been very bad.

We had several of the other breeds but only 4 each of those two, strange how they get the rare or favorites...

Last edited:
She was a beautiful girl, and she will surely be missed by her flock mates and her people. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Two more girls in the spring won't be the same; I still compare my newer girls to my originals who fell victim to a murderous mink. I wish I had good photos of mine like you do. I keep some of their feathers in a Mason jar on my dresser so I can "see" them every day.

But... chicken math is chicken math -- and the only form of math I REALLY understand! So you have endured the heartbreak of every chicken owner and will be better armed against hawks when you expand your flock. Best wishes to your current and future flock.

Back
Top Bottom