We lost our little guy...

logansmommy7

Songster
10 Years
May 15, 2009
Shenandoah Valley
For those who didn't read the previous thread, our little 8 week old roo was the unlucky soul yesterday when our dog got into the coop. His injuries didn't look too bad last night (just a puncture wound around the leg) and we thought he might have a chance...

Well, we thought last night he might rally as he took some water/gatorade late last night, but today he wasn't good. He started refusing the water and was just getting slower and slower and this afternoon he was just lying there, labored breathing, and eyes closed. He wouldn't try to sit up or anything...it was sad, but we kind of helped him die. So sad. Finding a dead chicken is one thing but having to help one die that the dog got is hard. Hope we have our fence better secured now and this won't happen again!
sad.png

i WOULD SAY THAT THE DOG BROKE HIS INSIDES UP AND THAT IS WHY HE DIDN'T MAKE IT
so sorry to hear it happened
any questions mail me

Thank you, previous poster, for your kind (or not so kind) words. And no, I don't have any questions. We did all we could save the little guy, and yes, the dog probably did "BROKE HIS INSIDES UP AND THAT IS WHY HE DIDN'T MAKE IT". As this was our first casualty for our new flock, I hope it doesn't happen again. And, I won't look here for sympathy, not that I was in the first place. I was simply giving an update for the kindness that was showed when I was asking questions about our injured bird last night. Hopefully next time you might find kinder words in this situation.

Good night!

Last edited:
Yeah, he must have had internal injuries that couldn't be seen. At least he had mercy and care from you. And yes - chickens can break your heart. (MY mom warned me of that when I restarted raising chickens as an adult). But just keep the dog away (he'll have a taste for it now), and try to go out and enjoy the half full portion of the cup - the rest of your flock.

Again I'm very sorry to hear about your loss, and than you for updating us.

She actually meant it way different than it was taken, thus her saying she was sorry for the loss. Her cap lock was just on. I know her, how she is, and she is genuinely sorry when someone loses a bird. I would vouch for her personally any day as she's an IRL friend of mine.

Well, if the I misread the intention in the email, then I am sorry. Sometimes printed words can come across in a way that can be misunderstood, and if I did, then I am sorry.

Cheers to a new day!

I am so sorry for your loss and also sorry you had to help the little one over the rainbow bridge. I just had to do that myself and there aren't words to say how it upsets you.
hugs.gif
Take care and enjoy the rest of your flock.

I know some may or may not agree, but I feel like, if you are using them for meat or whatever it is one thing, but having a young, sick one, and having to help it along in the dying process it is worse....very sad for sure. I knew when getting into the chicken raising there would be casualties, but that was definitely a bummer!

Back
Top Bottom