We met our first predator-raccoon! UPDATE: 7/14

On May 21st, a raccoon got into the pen of my sister's 2 month old pullets and killed every one, ripping them apart and leaving a gruesome blood bath. She had to start over again from scratch. We made improvements and yet again, just last week, another coon pulled 3 of her 3 week old broiler chicks through 1" hex wire, tearing them to pieces, biting them and knawing their wings and legs until broken and leaving the one to die. Pieces of flesh and bones on the wire and surrounding ground.

I have no problem killing coons - every nasty despicable one I can take. They do not kill just to satisfy their appetite, they kill until there is no life remaining and leave carnage in their wake.

A dead coon is a good coon - they show no mercy and neither do I.

I'm sorry for your loss - to anyone who thinks a raccoon is cute and deserves to have a life, I'm not sorry I feel as I do. Someday, our loss will be your loss and you will have a change of heart.

I don't feel that raccoons are dispicable; I think they're doing what they need to do to survive, whether that's eating scraps from a trash can to killing chickens. I'm not sure why some folks look at them (or coyotes, or any animal really) as "evil" because they're doing what they need to do to survive??
hu.gif
Are they supposed to live on air??? However, I would be hurt and ticked if I lost a chicken to a predator, and I wouldn't hesitate to shoot it (the predator). I'm glad to see the OP taking some responsibility about what's happened. A secure coop and run is everyone's best defense against predators.

Yes, we understand the coons are just doing what comes naturally to them. And honestly, the area was not very protected. We basically invited them in. My father and I agree that if they didn't bother our chickens, we wouldn't have to end them. But we do, and will.

Thank you everyone for your words and wisdom.
smile.png

UPDATE from last night (Friday): We baited the trap with leftover breaded catfish. Guess it wasn't a favorite. No bites and the trap was seemingly untouched. We'll be sticking with peanutbutter and hope the mice are happy with the chicken's leftovers, and not the coon bait.

UPDATE:

But not much of one. The trap was set off once or twice in the last few days following the catching of the possum. But nothing was in there and the bait was still left. We put in a peanut butter sandwitch and I threw in an egg a few days ago for good measure. We caught another possum last night (or it might have been the same, we're not sure) and he was also set free. Honestly, I'm not at all interested in taking down anything but the real problem-makers right now. Possums are not at all bright and haven't been concerning me.

My parents are under the impression that the raccoon we dispatched was the one that killed my pullet. That spells trouble for me because now they're not trying as hard to get the whole group. I also think that the origional coon was the killer but I think the others are just as dangerous and are still (as ever) fully capable of getting my birds. The trap will continue to be set. But I think the coons wised up and know it means death for them. Still hoping, though.

My surviving pullet is living with the adults and is doing well. I'm a firm believer in what science tells us regarding that a chickens memory does not usually exceed longer than 2 weeks, so I'm sure she's ruffled her feathers of the tragic event that took place not long ago. Sometimes I wish this could happen with humans...

The EXACT same thing has happened to me. A raccoon came and tore to shreds one hen while her close sister was watching. I was out of town and came back to see just the skeleton of one hen, and the sister had a huge chunk taken out of her leg. I thought she was going to die, but she is actually recovering well and walking now. Both sweet hens, I hope the other hen forgets watching her best friend, and sister die in such a horrible way. I have been setting the trap since last monday, and caught 4 raccoons, 1 possum and one cat? Of course we let the cat go but the others we took all the way up to the top of the moutain about 5 miles down the road. I feel your pain..I

MARSHMALLOWS are the best bait for raccoons and possums. Put a hanful in the trap, and put some before it enters the trap. Marshmallows work like a charm. If you go a few nights without catching anything, DONT GIVE UP!!! A few nights, I have thought about not setting the trap because I was so tired but I ended up setting it, and I got something!

If you catch a possum, I would take it to a park, or something. They will get your chickens too.

Back
Top Bottom