We missed it!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farnumchicks, Aug 18, 2008.

1. farnumchicks

farnumchicks New Egg

Aug 18, 2008
    We got our first egg today, but not sure when (or who). Do chickens lay at a certain time of day? We think it was a Rhode Island Red, given her behavior the last few days. She is very smart, the chickens (7), never go in the coop except to sleep, but she layed her egg right in the center nesting box. Good girl! We would like to be near the next time, so wondering if there is a time of day that is more popular than others. Thank you!

2. Michigan Chickman

Michigan Chickman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    SW Michigan
    I have 36 RIRs that are about 19 weeks old. I just started getting eggs (little ones, 1 or 2 a day) about a week ago but I can't figure out who laying because they do it in the afternoon when I'm at work [​IMG], well at least sometime between 7:30a - 6p. I assume it's the afternoon because when I checked this weekend there wasn't an egg until about 2p, and I still didn't see who layed them [​IMG]

3. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Mine lay all different times of the day. But they are usually in the nesting box long enough that I can "catch" the one who laid it. Of course I am lucky enough to be home and check on them often.

4. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    First - [​IMG]

My hens seem to go through cycles, sometimes in the am, sometimes in the pm.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by