We Must Be Cursed...2nd Roo lost in one month!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Cluck4Me, Apr 14, 2009.

1. Cluck4Me

Cluck4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    Oh...we are so sad today! Our newly adopted Blue Laced Red Wyandotte Roo (sweetest thing ever) developed a respiratory infection that the Vet says he must of contracted just before we adopted him). The Vet put him down today. [​IMG] Three weeks of bonding and loving him...for nothing.
    He was the replacement for our beloved 4 1/2 yr. old Buff Orp Roo that passed over a month ago.
    Not to mention, I examined him yesterday (wondering what else might be wrong with him)...and discovered he was covered in lice!! So guess what my hubby was doing as I took the Roo to the Vet....cleaning out the coop, bleaching it, and sprinkling Sevin dust everywhere! My hens are lice free SO FAR...but like an idiot, I forgot to completely inspect him before putting him with my flock. CRAP...so on top of being sad, I'll be skake-n-baking my hens in a bag of Sevin today....
    I've had better days -[​IMG]

- Sandy

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

It's really important to ALWAYS quarantine any new ones for a minimum of a month before putting them in with your flock...this is a good reminder for all of us.

Please don't be discouraged, though! Sounds like he was sick before you got him!

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  3. Cluck4Me

Cluck4Me Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2008
    Thank you for the kind words, Wynette [​IMG]
    I feel so supid...right away I could hear a weeze after he crowed..but he seemed so healthy, I thought it was cute and part of his character.
    Now I know better...
    Another good reminder for anyone adopting a new bird...keep your eyes and ears open! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by