We need egg finder.com

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Duckfarmer1, Oct 15, 2019.

1. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    We have a new chicken in our COOP.....she will not use the nesting boxes....she insists on laying her eggs in the weirdest places in the coop..with our MEAN rooster Spike...a lot of times we use one of those cheesey grabbers you see on tv. But with the roof..it’s hard. The coop is 21x 10 with a very large open play area in front that Chris has to navigate daily for one lousy egg! Any tips on how to get her to lay in there would be great...oh here’s the crazy part...she’ll go in there and sit I
    On the other eggs! She’s a fruitcake! But she’s our pretty white fruitcake chicken...lol

2. chrissynemetz

chrissynemetz Crossing the Road

Dec 19, 2013
    Olathe Colorado
    So she lays inside the coop, but not in the nest boxes? I wouldn't think fake eggs would help if you already have real eggs in there.....
    Do the other chickens mess with her or pick on her, maybe running her out of the nests? Have you checked the boxes for mites or bugs?
    Other than that.... I got nothing. :confused:

3. Xerocles

Xerocles Songster

May 22, 2019
    Clinton (piedmont) S.C.
    How much free time do you have? This will be a little time-consuming at first. And no guarantees that it will work. This is just what I would try.
    First, do you have a way to close the nesting box to keep a chicken inside? This will be necessary later.
    Watch her (this is where the time consuming part comes in) and find out what time of day She lays. Chickens are on a 25 hour ovulation schedule. So next day, pick her up about the same time that she laid on day one. Put her in the nest box, and close her up. (Probably make sure no other eggs are in there). Wait an hour and check on her. No egg? Wait 15 mins,rinse,repeat. When she lays, let her out, maybe give a treat. Next day, same scenario. Do this for 4 or 5 days. She should have learned by then. This is where we lay eggs.
    Good luck.

4. penny1960

penny1960 Yippy Do Da, Yipptye Ay!

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    maybe try adding a extra box maybe she needs a new nest box as the others are not right JMHO

5. ShannonR

ShannonR Crowing

Sep 17, 2015
    What kind of chicken is She? Some seem much less inclined to lay in their nest boxes than others. Hens who like to go broody for instance, can do this kind of thing more frequently

ValerieJ likes this.
  6. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    The boxes are clean..the other chickens use them daily..Ann she is new but they took her in right away...we were shocked how easy it was!

chrissynemetz likes this.
  7. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Not sure as someone just dropped he off for us..people know we take rescues..she’s just a white chicken.

ShannonR and chrissynemetz like this.
  8. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Ok...we can try..Chris will love building a whole nother structure for one chicken

chrissynemetz likes this.
  9. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Sounds like a. Doable plan

ShannonR and chrissynemetz like this.
  10. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    Ok, geez, going to be hard to give her a day as we have a farm with more than 100 animals but I’ll give it a go! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: