We processed and ate our first chicken

schellie69

Songster
10 Years
Oct 8, 2009
Kansas
I had a layer that got injured and at this time did not have the time to treat the injury so we decided that since next year she was going to be dinner anyway. We would process her now which my DH and DS's did. On Fathers day I cooked her and made her into BBQ chicken it was the best chicken we have had. The kids ate it with no problems we have to SLW roosters that will be processed in a few more weeks so this was a great teaching tool for my DH to learn how to process a chicken. Just had to share that it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

Quote:
wee.gif
Yay! I'm glad you and your family had a yummy meal, and that your DH learned how to process a chicken
smile.png
Very cool!
clap.gif

-Jessa

Quote:
So...I have a bunch that need to be processed and I can't make myself do it...wanna do mine? I need to find a processor here.

Quote:
clap.gif
That's a fantastic report, each session usually goes even easier & faster than the time before, so you all are off to a great start! How wonderful to have others in your family willing & able to do the processing chores, it's mostly my responsibility to get the chickens from the egg to the table, plus scrubbing the cooking pots & utensils too.

Good job! My first chicken was slow roasted in the oven. I never knew chicken could taste so amazing until we had our first homegrown bird.

I haven't tried a BBQ chicken yet. How did you cook it? Whole or parted out? Sounds delicious.

Back
Top Bottom