We processed and ate our first chicken

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by schellie69, Jun 23, 2011.

1. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    I had a layer that got injured and at this time did not have the time to treat the injury so we decided that since next year she was going to be dinner anyway. We would process her now which my DH and DS's did. On Fathers day I cooked her and made her into BBQ chicken it was the best chicken we have had. The kids ate it with no problems we have to SLW roosters that will be processed in a few more weeks so this was a great teaching tool for my DH to learn how to process a chicken. Just had to share that it was not as bad as I thought it would be.

2. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:[​IMG] Yay! I'm glad you and your family had a yummy meal, and that your DH learned how to process a chicken [​IMG] Very cool! [​IMG]

-Jessa

3. Tiffrz-N-Kidz

Tiffrz-N-Kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Aledo, TX
    That's awesome! Great job!

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    welcome to "The Real World" of chickens! [​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Fantastic! [​IMG]

May this be the start to no more Grocery Chicken for you and your family [​IMG]

6. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:So...I have a bunch that need to be processed and I can't make myself do it...wanna do mine? I need to find a processor here.

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:[​IMG] That's a fantastic report, each session usually goes even easier & faster than the time before, so you all are off to a great start! How wonderful to have others in your family willing & able to do the processing chores, it's mostly my responsibility to get the chickens from the egg to the table, plus scrubbing the cooking pots & utensils too.

8. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    Good job! My first chicken was slow roasted in the oven. I never knew chicken could taste so amazing until we had our first homegrown bird.

I haven't tried a BBQ chicken yet. How did you cook it? Whole or parted out? Sounds delicious.

9. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Are your other birds giving you that watchful eye?? Good job and kudos to your husband. Nothing like a hand raised roaster.

10. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    [​IMG] Congrats!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by