We processed and ate our first chicken

Quote:
So...I have a bunch that need to be processed and I can't make myself do it...wanna do mine? I need to find a processor here.

lol DH did all the work I just had to cook it, he said it was very easy he was slow because it was his first time.

RoosterGeek I slow cooked it all day in the crock pot then de boned it and put it back in the crock pot with just a little bbq sauce you don't need as much with home grown chicken as store bought chicken.

Sunny Side Up I told DH he would have to process because I was not ready for that yet (bad experaince with killing chickens when I was a kid by and abusive dad long story) so he said no problem he would handle it if I cooked them that was a deal.

peterlund nope but I am looking at them in a whole different way now.
gig.gif
I have 2 SLW roosters and I am trying to figure out what to make with them.

No one in the family wants store bought chicken anymore. I wished I had a farm so I could order some freedom rangers or grow out some more birds for the table. This was a great experience. My DH says that his motto is they make me breakfast and when they stop that they make me dinner. until then they are sort of my girls. It was not as bad as I thought to go from Zoe the egg layer to the chicken dinner.

There are a lot worse things that could happen to a chicken than to provide nourishment for an appreciative human family. Especially if they have gentle handling & hear soothing voices on their way to Crossing The Road. No other predator would be so kind, nor would a disease.

Quote:
I do that to mine too! When my roosters started to beef up, my wife would say, "Mmmm he's going make a good roast."

Quote:
I love it!
gig.gif

Last edited:
I was worried about posting since we did make the choice to cull her rather then treat the wound, we have been working on growing our own food and since I live in town and are allowed only so many chickens if I want to keep having eggs I have to do something with the ones that aren't laying anymore I don't feel it is right to sell them to someone else who is going to eat them any way. So we choose to eat them ourselves I know that they had a great life with fresh air, clean water good food, plus bug and greens. This is just our first step and hopefully when we get our farm it will be easier to raise most of our meat.

Quote:
So...I have a bunch that need to be processed and I can't make myself do it...wanna do mine? I need to find a processor here.

lol DH did all the work I just had to cook it, he said it was very easy he was slow because it was his first time.

RoosterGeek I slow cooked it all day in the crock pot then de boned it and put it back in the crock pot with just a little bbq sauce you don't need as much with home grown chicken as store bought chicken.

Sunny Side Up I told DH he would have to process because I was not ready for that yet (bad experaince with killing chickens when I was a kid by and abusive dad long story) so he said no problem he would handle it if I cooked them that was a deal.

peterlund nope but I am looking at them in a whole different way now.
gig.gif
I have 2 SLW roosters and I am trying to figure out what to make with them.

No one in the family wants store bought chicken anymore. I wished I had a farm so I could order some freedom rangers or grow out some more birds for the table. This was a great experience. My DH says that his motto is they make me breakfast and when they stop that they make me dinner. until then they are sort of my girls. It was not as bad as I thought to go from Zoe the egg layer to the chicken dinner.

You don't need a farm to have Freedom Rangers, we live in town with 3/4 of an acre with 50 FR's. We based our 2x10x12 tractor on Joel Salatin's original idea. We move it about once a day so there is always fresh grass to eat.
DSCF2286.jpg

Maybe this is a stupid question, but what is a DH? Sorry for asking, but I am curious. I am guessing it has something to do with a significant other. You can tell me that I am stupid if you want, it's ok.

PikeCo Dh is Dear Husband. There are no stupid questions:D I'm still working on trying to eat the eggs that the girls eat....I can't imagine eating one of them:eek:
big_smile.png

Quote:

If there are Amish in your area, sometimes they will process your poultry for you. Honestly, doing it yourself is not that bad. I cannot eat chicken on the same day that I process them, but a couple of days later I throughly enjoy the fruits of my labors. I have 52 meaties and 6 BBW turkeys in the brooder. The meaties will be going to freezer camp in about 8 weeks, with the turkeys going right around Thanksgiving.

I am making myself hungry for a big 'ol pot of chicken and dumplings...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom