We want to start a farm - but where?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
My family is seriously considering starting a small family farm. But, we want to take our time, research, and do this right. Our general idea is to have a couple animals (chickens, ducks, quail, maybe some other things) which we would raise for eggs. Then we would also grow some crops (berries, and vegetables), and maybe even sell some food and baked goods. We don't want anything huge, but definitely big enough to make a living.
Now, we're trying to decide where to start this farm. Right now we live in New York, and we want to go somewhere out of state. We want a place with fertile land that is open to farming. Preferably we want to go somewhere where we won't be bogged down with snow in the winter. Another important thing is that the taxes won't be so high that we can't make a proper living.
Which state would be the best place to start our new farm?

Do you or your families farm now? You may already be doing extensive research into the viability of being able to make a living doing small-scale farming, but it's really really hard and sometimes impossible to actually support a family doing what you described, especially without lots of experience. If one of you has a day job to support the effort, it can be a wonderful life and the things you describe can add a small amount of income. Not trying to discourage you from starting a farm! Just be sure someone doesn't quit their day job, or that the income-producing job is portable to wherever you move.

My husband and I both grew up in New York. We lived in Virginia for a few years after being married and just recently moved to Indiana. It's a very friendly state in a lot of the ways we were looking for as far as general liberty. Winters are a lot milder than New York, and, as long as you're not super rural, there's plenty of economic opportunity.

My husband and I both grew up in New York. We lived in Virginia for a few years after being married and just recently moved to Indiana. It's a very friendly state in a lot of the ways we were looking for as far as general liberty. Winters are a lot milder than New York, and, as long as you're not super rural, there's plenty of economic opportunity.

Thank you, but we've actually decided to go to South Carolina!

Do you or your families farm now? You may already be doing extensive research into the viability of being able to make a living doing small-scale farming, but it's really really hard and sometimes impossible to actually support a family doing what you described, especially without lots of experience. If one of you has a day job to support the effort, it can be a wonderful life and the things you describe can add a small amount of income. Not trying to discourage you from starting a farm! Just be sure someone doesn't quit their day job, or that the income-producing job is portable to wherever you move.

We do not farm now. We have chickens, and always grow a very big garden. I think we have found ideal crops to grow for us though.
Yes, two members of my family have jobs, that can actually be done from home.
What I described was just a general idea, and we have since found ourselves a niche, which should actually create a good income, if it goes according to plan.

Just wanted to add that I didn't mean to imply you aren't intelligent to have been researching how to support yourselves as you plan this exciting new way of life! I encounter quite a few people with vague ideas not based in reality about farming for a living, but have no reason to assume you're one of those. :) All you asked was what locations to consider. Looks as if you are thinking South Carolina and that's one of the areas I would have suggested...reasonably balanced weather, there is actually dirt (as opposed to the rocky hilly area where I live) and enough rain. Many beautiful areas there...best of luck!

We do not farm now. We have chickens, and always grow a very big garden. I think we have found ideal crops to grow for us though.
Yes, two members of my family have jobs, that can actually be done from home.
What I described was just a general idea, and we have since found ourselves a niche, which should actually create a good income, if it goes according to plan.
It's an amazing idea and I wish you success doing it!

Back
Top Bottom