Weak chick - anything more I could/should be doing?

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
My chicks arrived from the hatchery yesterday. They were in shipment less than 24 hrs. (as compared to 3 days for my last bunch).
Most of them zoom around the brooder so fast. They are much more energetic than the last bunch, but I do have one weak chick. I have switched them over to sugar water (for her sake) and I dip her beak in the sugar water each hour that I am awake. She's trying to get pasty butt, but I'm staying on top of it.

Here's the info. Please offer insight if you can. TIA
smile.png

1) What type of bird , age and weight. It's an EE two day old chick.
2) What is the behavior, exactly. It just stands in the area of the heat lamp, sleeping. Sleeps standing up most of the time; sometimes lays down.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? Since Thursday evening, around 6 PM. They arrived at 8 AM Thursday morning.
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. No
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. shipping stress, maybe?
6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Chick will drink if I dip her beak, no interest in food at all. Crop is empty.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Thin, light yellow in color, consistency of heavy cream. She's trying to paste up on me.
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? I added sugar to the water and dip her beak about once an hour. Then I set her down in the food tray, but she shows no interest in eating.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? Home treatment only
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use In a brooder where the other chicks seem entirely comfortable. Usually running around, but sometimes all sleeping together, not bunched up so I feel the temp. is correct.

I would be careful about giving too much sugar water, its only really meant as a temporary fix to pep up their energy level to get them to eat more. It can also make pasty butt worse.

When I have a weak chick I do these things:
1) Poly-Vit-Sol (without added iron) baby vitamins: couple of drops, a couple times a day (you can find them at pretty much any pharmacy, drug store, wal-mart, etc)
2) ACV in the water
3) Make a hard boiled egg/plain yogurt/chick starter slurry and then very patiently try to get them to eat as much of it as you can by wiping a tiny dab on the corner of their beak and letting them lick it up.

Good luck with the little one!

Quote:
One question on this advice please. Do I give the poly-vi-sol directly in the mouth or added to the water? I didn't use the sugar water last time and didn't want to this time, especially with the rest of the chicks being so dang energetic.

Quote:
Thanks. I was going to get some parakeet grit today so that I could give them some egg.

OT - I just noticed your location. I am originally from Asheville and lived in Leicester for several years!

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks. I was going to get some parakeet grit today so that I could give them some egg.

OT - I just noticed your location. I am originally from Asheville and lived in Leicester for several years!

No problem! Hope she improves for you! You don't need to worry about grit with hardboiled egg though, its one of the few things (along with the yogurt) that you can feed them without adding grit.

Wow, small world! I'm from in between Hendersonville and Brevard originally, moved away for awhile, then lived in Asheville for several years before moving out to Leicester about a year ago. I love it out here! Just out of sheer curiosity in case we did actually cross paths, I went to West Henderson High school, graduated in 2002 and my maiden name was Neeley House. Any bells?

Last edited:
Ahhh..poor chicky..
sad.png

I usually try to make up a warm mash for them when they get like that...
Sometimes nothing works though..
sad.png

Ive given a straight drop of poly when I had a particulary weak chick. Thats what i did with Gyro, born with what i think was wry neck. Ive also added several drops to their waterer for everybody right after they hatch.

Some reason for hope, I think. The weak chick actually drank water by herself and ate a few bites when I set her down in the food tray.
Our pharmacy didn't have any poly-vi-sol and our (lame excuse for a) walmart only had the kind with iron.
I got some poultry vitamins and mineral powder at the co-op instead and have replaced the sugar water with that.
I am in the process of hard boiling some eggs right now and will make a mash.
Thanks so much y'all. I sure hope she makes it.
fl.gif

ETA: Neeley, unfortunately my parents were divorced. As a result I attended high school in Miami (split time between parents). My DD attended Erwin Middle School and Enka High School when we moved to Candler. Before our move we lived off of Leicester Hwy., on Happy Valley Road. I have a sister still living in Asheville. When we visited in 2007 I couldn't believe how much it had changed.

Last edited:
Gritsar - Did your chick live? I just received chicks and I have three dead, same symptoms. I raised chicks when I was a kid but that was a very long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom