Weak Chick (doing better - update page 2)

NellaBean

Graceland Farms
10 Years
Mar 4, 2009
Broodyland, TN
My Coop
My Coop
I have 6 cochins (probably bantam) that I got wednesday. One is much smaller than the rest and is light as a feather (ha) when I pick it up. I wanted to give him a little boost with some scrambled egg....he is only 2-3 days old. Is this okay? Or do I need to give grit as well? Right now they just get chick starter.....some is ground up, some is regular.

Last edited:
Yeah, no luck on the scrambled egg! He is much smaller and spending most of his time huddled up "dozing". The others do run into and over him if he is in the way. Every now and then he'll peck around (they are still on paper towels and I have a feeder full plus a bunch thrown around on the "ground" for them) but doesn't seem that interested in the food.

Lots of head twitching and shaking and neuro type symptoms.....
sad.png

Pooped while I was in there earlier and it was just white liquid.

I am not expecting the best. I put a bunch more food, lots of ground up finer stuff all around on the paper towels since he was often pecking around in bare spots or where there were only big pieces. But he looks a lot worse now than an hour ago.

I expected him to die in the night but he was still up and at 'em when I got up....still acting way off but did have some poopy butt going on. Some normal colored plus lots of white goo (what does the white mean?). Cleaned him up a bit to make sure he was not closed up back there and he did chirp and fuss and try to make a run for it. I tried giving him some honey but that did not work well. I did see him take a drink last night.

If he is pooping, he is at least eating something. He is so upset when separated that I am going to keep him with the other 5. And cross my fingers and hope for the best?

I had a weak chick and I put her in an open topped small cracker box so she could still be in with the other chick but also not get trampled by the other one and pecked on( they also cryed when I seperated the two. but this way they could stay together yet safe. Hope this helps you. Sandy

Glad to hear your little one is hanging on!
You could do what I did with my weak chick--I made a semi-circle of hardware cloth in the corner of the brooder. Part of the circle was under the heat lamp. I put food and water in small measuring cups, and a feather duster for her to cuddle with. She slept a lot for two days, and ate and drank (I also gave her poly-vi-sol--a drop twice a day). By the third day she was pacing around and wanted out with the rest, and she has been fine ever since, though much smaller.

If it is a small bantam chick you may also try grinding the food smaller. I had a problem with mine not being able to eat the regular size crumble, would peck at it just not able to eat it. I crushed some and put it out dry and put a little in there mixed with a little water to make it damp. She started eating really well.

This post gave me hope! I was going to write about the same problem. I didn't see any white poop though. Hubby put the chick on his chest under the covers and they both took a snooze. I guess I'll just keep watching this little chick. I sure don't want to have to kill it, but hate the thought of any animal suffering. I'm sure worried though.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom