Weak chick, hand feeding now day 3, chances?

Tahl

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
Hi all,
I’ve just incubator hatched 5 healthy Cream Legbar chicks and one other chick from a different egg source that claimed to be Black Copper Maran but this chick is pure yellow. Regardless, it was a half dozen that really suffered in the post and this little one was the only successful hatch.
It struggled from the get go with a little bit of yolk sac not fully absorbed. I left it in the incubator another 12 hours until it looked as good as it was going to get then transferred it to a brooder box.
The tiny bit of remnant dried out so I snipped it and applied appropriate disinfectant to the umbilicus.
Since then I’ve been hand feeding it 1-2 hourly during the day and once overnight. To be honest I’m surprised it’s alive and cheeping every morning so far! Little tacker seems to be hanging in there ... but it wobbles and shakes when standing and only rarely pecks at food if I put it near the chick mash. The other chicks are kind and snuggle up with it. It’s pooping and I’m ensuring it’s bottom is clean and not obstructed.
It’s just that it’s not thriving, needing so much support, and moving into day 4 I’m just starting to ask myself if it’s prolonging the inevitable and not the kindest thing to do.
Has anyone had a chick like this that came through? I don’t want to give up too soon but I’m starting to question 😬

Hi all,
I’ve just incubator hatched 5 healthy Cream Legbar chicks and one other chick from a different egg source that claimed to be Black Copper Maran but this chick is pure yellow. Regardless, it was a half dozen that really suffered in the post and this little one was the only successful hatch.
It struggled from the get go with a little bit of yolk sac not fully absorbed. I left it in the incubator another 12 hours until it looked as good as it was going to get then transferred it to a brooder box.
The tiny bit of remnant dried out so I snipped it and applied appropriate disinfectant to the umbilicus.
Since then I’ve been hand feeding it 1-2 hourly during the day and once overnight. To be honest I’m surprised it’s alive and cheeping every morning so far! Little tacker seems to be hanging in there ... but it wobbles and shakes when standing and only rarely pecks at food if I put it near the chick mash. The other chicks are kind and snuggle up with it. It’s pooping and I’m ensuring it’s bottom is clean and not obstructed.
It’s just that it’s not thriving, needing so much support, and moving into day 4 I’m just starting to ask myself if it’s prolonging the inevitable and not the kindest thing to do.
Has anyone had a chick like this that came through? I don’t want to give up too soon but I’m starting to question 😬
I have had chicks like that respond to sav-a-chic with a raw egg mixed in. Try to get it to drink the solution from a spoon.:old

Despite taking that mix via a syringe and having done a few normal looking poops that gave me hope, little Skimpy died in the night between day4 and day5.
We tried, at least 😞

Hi all,
We bought a few chicks from the store, one was SUPER tiny. Once we got her home we noticed the wobbliness and she couldn't eat or drink really on her own..... so long story short for 3-5 days we worked with her A LOT, and made sure she was getting food and water and by day 6-7 she was eating on her own!!! Now she is 14 week old and spunky and sweet as ever!!!!!

I have had much success with weak chicks... eating and pooping is often a good indication that they have the will. poly vi sol vitamins are a new discovery for me thanks to the chicken community and they have been a huge huge help for my most recent runt.

Back
Top Bottom