Weak chick please help

stephanier756

In the Brooder
May 5, 2017
Arkansas
Long story short, I now have a single chick that I had to help hatch 2 days ago. The chick is very weak, and sleeps most of the time. I have not left water in with it as I am afraid it will stumble around and drown in it, so I have been giving it water with a syringe. At first it acted like it was choking, but has improved. This morning it was pecking at the thermometer in its box so I mashed up some boiled egg yolk and put some in its beak, it pecked some from my finger but then immediately went back to sleep. My question is, how often should I try to feed the chick. I have left some starter crumble in the box, but it won't eat it.
I have been worried sick about this little chick, it's almost like having a newborn. Up every two hours checking on it

Long story short, I now have a single chick that I had to help hatch 2 days ago. The chick is very weak, and sleeps most of the time. I have not left water in with it as I am afraid it will stumble around and drown in it, so I have been giving it water with a syringe. At first it acted like it was choking, but has improved. This morning it was pecking at the thermometer in its box so I mashed up some boiled egg yolk and put some in its beak, it pecked some from my finger but then immediately went back to sleep. My question is, how often should I try to feed the chick. I have left some starter crumble in the box, but it won't eat it.
I have been worried sick about this little chick, it's almost like having a newborn. Up every two hours checking on it
As far as the egg goes, we have had sick sneezing chicks we put VetRX and cayanne pepper in the mashed egg to boost the immune systems. Is your chick sneezing? Is your chick sneezing? Or just weak?

No sneezing, just lethargic. It has improved, I was just wondering how often to assist it in feeding.
I'm afraid I have not had experience feeding a chick (being I'm only 13) but my Cochin rooster got extremely sick and we had to mush his food. We fed him plain yogurt with oregano. I believe we fed him through a syringe 2-3 times a day. With your chick you might want to do small doses often. I hope it gets well!

Back
Top Bottom