Weak chick - update...she didn't make it...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by arlee453, Dec 20, 2007.

1. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Any other wisdom for my BO chick that I had to help hatch this morning? All the others are running around happy...

She's just lying there. I've dripped water in her beak a drop at a time a couple times this afternoon to keep her hydrated - she will swallow.

She does move from time to time, but hasn't gotten on her feet yet. Also peeps once in a while.

I've got her in the bator still, under the light.

Any other suggestions??

Last edited: Dec 20, 2007
  2. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    That is all you can do at this point. If she just hatched, she is still absorbing her yolk. Sugar water will perk her up.

Hope she is up and running around by morning [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sugar water..or vit & electrolytes (durval) mixed in her water, if you have it......I had a chick like this and used an eye dropper to get her to drink......

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I had one that I helped out, she bled, she was weak and yolk-y. I left her alone and the next morning she was chipper, and doing well. It was a little gray silkie and she is very cute.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Usually, 24 hours will make a difference. Just let her summon her strength and I bet she'll be peeping and pooping like a champ!

6. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Well, despite best efforts, the little chick passed away while I was at class tonight. [​IMG]
    I can't say I'm surprised, but had hoped that time and quiet and warmth would have given her a fighting chance. feel certain that she would never have made it out of the egg without help - one of those weak chicks, I suppose.

Still, I feel like it was worth the effort to try to help. Thanks for your responses....

7. sara

sara Title Needed Here

I'm so sorry (s)he didn't make it. [​IMG]

8. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    I'm sorry she didn't make it also.. [​IMG] I watched her struggle for quite awhile in her egg (and was relieved when you helped her actually.. since she wasn't making much progress.)

Poor little thing. She never really had much of a chance.

Meghan

9. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    sorry to hear about your loss. it seems this has beena tough few days for everyone, I lost a chick last night after he'd been doing really well all day. [​IMG]

10. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    I am sorry! I was hopeing she was just a little behind and would be perky in the morning.

Hugs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by