Weak chicken, please chime in

appellativo

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Hi all. I'm in Texas and I have six 3 month old pullets. One buff orpingtons seemed heat stressed a couple days ago. They are in a shaded run with water and a mister. This one seems to have less weight on her than the others. I'm on vacation now, and my friend has taken her inside, given subcutaneous fluids and antibiotics. She is now eating and drinking but doesn't want to stand much. Please advise. These chicks have not been wormed. At what point should I consider worming her? Now? Or when she's stronger? If at all?

I have never wormed my chickens i just put some food grade Diametric Earth in there food and it takes care of any unwanted parasites in there body. Put some electrolytes into the water a quick way to give them a boost is to put some gatoraid in there water. I make my own electrolyte solution here is what i do.

1 Teaspoon baking soda
1 Teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon sugar
! Gallon water

I hope this helps.
jumpy.gif

Hi all. I'm in Texas and I have six 3 month old pullets. One buff orpingtons seemed heat stressed a couple days ago. They are in a shaded run with water and a mister. This one seems to have less weight on her than the others. I'm on vacation now, and my friend has taken her inside, given subcutaneous fluids and antibiotics. She is now eating and drinking but doesn't want to stand much. Please advise. These chicks have not been wormed. At what point should I consider worming her? Now? Or when she's stronger? If at all?
I'd give her a couple more days inside with fluids before I wormed her.

-Kathy

My friend tube fed her also the first day. She is doing much better now. I'm going to put more fans out, and make a raised area where they like to sit; maybe they will sit there and let air circulate around themselves. If they don't, I'll bring in some sand, as I read that it keeps cool the best.

Back
Top Bottom