Weak Coturnix Hatchling getting picked on

TMarie

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2013
I have 13 chicks that just hatched yesterday. They've all been eating and drinking very well.

3 of them I had to help hatch because the membrane had dried and it'd been over 30 hrs. One of them is suddenly looking weak and getting picked on.

I knew the risks of helping them hatch, such as making them bleed to death. But Another forum said something about having a weak chick and said "looks like someone helped it hatch if you know what i mean" and now I'm wondering if this is because I helped it hatch.

I put probiotics in the water. I'm nervous to separate her but nervous to leave her.
Please help! Thank you!

This is in the wrong section. It should be in Diseases/Injuries/Cures

Anyway you need to separate them. Put organic cloudy ACV in the weak ones water and check on her/she regularly if it gets worse, remove the AVC water and add in electrolytes.

Anyway you need to separate them. Put organic cloudy ACV in the weak ones water and check on her/she regularly if it gets worse, remove the AVC water and add in electrolytes.

What acv water ratio?

Thank you very much by the way! She's eating and drinking better today! Hopefully she'll recover quickly!

Another forum said something about having a weak chick and said "looks like someone helped it hatch if you know what i mean" and now I'm wondering if this is because I helped it hatch.

People mistake cause and effect in the whole area of helping chicks to hatch. Of course the ones that had to be helped tend to be weaker. That's not because they were helped, it's why they were helped. Even for the ones that were just turned wrong or too dry, trying to struggle out of an egg for sometimes entire extra days does a number on them.

Even if the chick turns out too weak to make it you didn't do anything wrong by giving it a chance.

People mistake cause and effect in the whole area of helping chicks to hatch. Of course the ones that had to be helped tend to be weaker. That's not because they were helped, it's why they were helped. Even for the ones that were just turned wrong or too dry, trying to struggle out of an egg for sometimes entire extra days does a number on them.

Even if the chick turns out too weak to make it you didn't do anything wrong by giving it a chance.
I really appreciate this response! It seems almost everything you read discourages you from helping for many reasons, but I just couldn't stand by and let them die, knowing I could help. So thank you for that! The other 2 I helped are doing great!

UPDATE: She's eating and drinking really well, but i do see a couple sores on her legs. I'm wondering if they're from the other chicks. She prefers to walk ina lying down position, but she is capable of walking normally. Her siblings won't let me put her back yet :(

Back
Top Bottom