Weak gosling found on back

jolenesdad

┑( ̄▽ ̄)┍
7 Years
Apr 12, 2015
Montgomery, TX
I found a gosling on her back this morning. Hadn’t checked them for two hours. 2 weeks old today.

she is weak. Drinking Pooping and eating though. Sleeping in my arms for two hours but still weak.

gave poultry cell. She eats mazuri waterfowl starter. Is this a niacin issue possibly? Any ideas?

I know little about geese, so I would also post on the geese forum. I would give 1 ml of the Poultry Cell daily, and offer wet chick feed up to the beak. Has it been hot where dehydration might be a problem? Is there any pasty butt problem?

Thanks!

no pasty butt. No other issues. Eating drinking pooping normally. She ate a raspberry and her regular food out of my hand. I made a heavy-concentration mix of poultry cell water and she drinks it every time I offer it. She is improving slowly, starting to preen while I hold her every now and then but her neck is still wobbly.

I was concerned about toxicity but there’s zero chemicals on my farm and since she is improving I am thinking not that. Hmmmm. Will post on geese forum when I get back I’m running to the store and leaving her with the rest of the family at home to monitor in a cat carrier in the living room

Thanks!

no pasty butt. No other issues. Eating drinking pooping normally. She ate a raspberry and her regular food out of my hand. I made a heavy-concentration mix of poultry cell water and she drinks it every time I offer it. She is improving slowly, starting to preen while I hold her every now and then but her neck is still wobbly.

I was concerned about toxicity but there’s zero chemicals on my farm and since she is improving I am thinking not that. Hmmmm. Will post on geese forum when I get back I’m running to the store and leaving her with the rest of the family at home to monitor in a cat carrier in the living room
@Eggcessive i have b complex tabs. They say with vitamin c.

is all of that flushable could it hurt to include in her food? Is it the same as direct dose of poultry cell?

B complex with C is hard to overdose, since it is excreted in the kidneys. It can be put in food or water. But for now and a couple of days, Poultry Cell is fine to use instead. After a few days, stop it since electrolytes may cause runny poops. Then you can switch to the B complex. But she probably needs the electrolytes now until she is stronger.

Someone on FB suggested wry neck. I started the vitamin e and selenium. she had just a floppy neck this am and now it’s rapidly progressed to where that is what it looks like her neck bends back.

@Eggcessive do you know the main difference in poultry cell and poly vi sol?

i gave poultry cell to the other two as preventative and I picked up poly vi sol as well.

Wondering could this be my feed lacking? Freshness?
015FDFE5-A414-4D5F-A501-7FA71598B569.jpeg

Poultry cell has vitamins, minerals, electrolytes, and amino acids, while Polyvisol has some vitamins. That does look like wry neck (torticolis.) With wry neck, you should probably give a 400 IU vitamin E along with a source of vitamin B1 thiamine and a little selenium (not too much.) Selenium is found in the Pouktry Cell, cooked egg, tuna, and sunflower seeds. Apparently old feed can lack vitamins, but vitamin deficiencies are very common. Wey neck can also be caused by head injuries and certain diseases that affect the brain. It is important to get enough water and food into her. Giving wet feed can be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom