Weak poorly chicken

emilmia

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 11, 2014
Essex, England
I have two chickens coco and Chanel. Chanel a barred rock, had a bad case of worms, I noticed when she lost her appetite so straight away got so medicine Verm-x for food and water. She wouldn't eat but did drink. And would walk round in circles. It's been a week and she has now stopped drinking. I am giving her water every hour with a straw. She has become so weak she has fallen over a lot and even fallen down the coop steps so have now put her in a box in the house where it is walmer. Her head is tilted to one side which I am worried she hurt herself when falling. Also her tail is curved under and is standing still, or falling asleep. Is there anything I can give her to give her energy? I know worms take up to 22 days to get her system but she is getting worse not better? I keep the coop Very very clean so don't think it could be lice/mites if so how do I check for these? She laid as normal and laid egg standing up outside last week which was odd and hasn't laid one since as she has become really weak. Is there anything I can do? I am new to chickens they are a year old and don't want to lose her as they both work well together and I have trained them from young age plus I love her too much please help :-(

I am feeding her scrambled eggs so she seems a bit better and tried to groom herself but I defiantly think she has hurt her neck.
1f622.png

So you wormed her once or twice and how long ago? Can you see any worms in her throat? I understand they need the second dose to kill the larva eggs. You might try pro biotics / electrolytes to boost energy. That being said, it could be something more serious. Do you still have her isolated from others? I am sure someone has more educated thoughts on this, as I have not run across this particular problem. Best wishes~

Last edited:
I am using Verm-x it's a natural worming teatment for laying hens, it's in the water I am syringeing to her. I have kept her in the house in a box. She has a little more engery since I have given her some scrambled eggs but I have having to put it in her mouth. She has stopped passing worms so I think she is on the right track. But her neck looks very serious I spoke to a farmer and they said this can happen if the fall but still go on to lead a happy life. But untill she starts eating and drinking by herself she won't make it. She can't sleep due to her neck, I am worried she is on pain
1f614.png

You could give her some finely crushed baby aspirin mixed in water. You could try to put something under her neck to prop her up while sleeping. You could try yogurt with the egg for more nutrition. And the electrocutes help to keep them from getting dehydrated.

She is trying to sleep but keeps waking herself up so jolting her head a lot.
Thanks for the info I'll give the Asprin and the yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom