Weak Rooster due to feed?

Birds need more protein when they are molting; well, the hens do, especially, since some continue to lay during at least part of the molt. And they do molt in winter quite often, though it seems odd.

I know nails bleed and bleed and bleed, though. Sometimes, it's been hard to get them to stop. Depends on how far up it breaks or if it splits up the middle of the entire length of it--that's also quite painful.

Last edited:
We up the turkeys and chickens protein in the winter. We were feeding them plenty of scrambled eggs during their first couple of winters as we couldn't use/give away all the extra eggs. When it started warming up they quit vacuuming their bowls, and some would be left over when they went to roost.

We add some gamebird starter (30% protein) to the flock maintenance during the winter (they're older girls and guys, now). The Slate hen is in the middle of an explosive molt at present (just left last spring's nest a week ago!) and she's a pig.

Well, if you do that, John, then I know I'm not crazy, LOL. They need extra calories in winter to keep warm and if they're molting AND still laying, all those things combined mean they really need an extra boost of nutrition.

The Slate hen is scarfing down all of the leftover holiday corn casserole and minced up pork loin ends. Chooks were out today searching in vain for bugs (they've rubbed out all the current generation of meal worms and the low temps wiped out what was left of the pecan maggots). Gotta keep these guys fed, or I'll be on the menu!

Sounds like you'd better not trip and knock yourself unconcious in the chicken pen, John!
lol.png

Yaassss, that could be my fate. But It'd be akin to an epiphany ala Charlton Heston, i.e., :
soylent_green07.jpg

Soylent chicken chow is people!!!
tongue.png
tongue.png
tongue.png

Avoiding the recycler...

Back
Top Bottom